You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My phone rings but I can't hear anything when I answer the call

I have an iPhone 7, never had any issues, haven't touched any of the sound settings, but for some reason I can no longer hear the person on the other end of the line when I answer a call and it doesn't give me an option to switch to speaker mode.

For context, my ringtone plays when the call is incoming and I still get sound while watching videos, so the sounder definitely isn't broken, and I'm definitely not in Silent, Airplane or Do Not Disturb modes either. I've also tried changing the volume levels when on a call, on top of downloading the latest iOS update in case something was out of date, and then rebooting the phone while holding down the "volume down" button as well, but nothing seems to work.

Any help would be much appreciated!

iPhone 7

Posted on Apr 12, 2023 3:43 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2023 4:23 AM

80% is not healthy and is the level at which Apple recommends replacing the battery. So have the weak, aging battery replaced and then you'll probably be able to hear the caller:

iPhone Battery & Power Repair

About genuine iPhone batteries

Repair Provider Verification

(Articles found by searching Apple's Knowledge Base.)

õ¿õ¬

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 12, 2023 4:23 AM in response to MrJonTastic

80% is not healthy and is the level at which Apple recommends replacing the battery. So have the weak, aging battery replaced and then you'll probably be able to hear the caller:

iPhone Battery & Power Repair

About genuine iPhone batteries

Repair Provider Verification

(Articles found by searching Apple's Knowledge Base.)

õ¿õ¬

My phone rings but I can't hear anything when I answer the call

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.