You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Clamshell mode dysfunctional

My MacBook Pro

Does not function any longer in clamshell mode with external monitor. As long as the Macbook is open , the external display works normally, but as soon as I close the MacBook, the display goes dark, and the message " No Signal , Entering the power saving mode shortly".

This does not appear to be due to the monitor or the connections, since everything is fine as long as the MacBook is open.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? It does not change with restarting the computer.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Apr 12, 2023 8:51 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Apr 13, 2023 12:48 AM in response to Chuck McQuinn

Have you tried safe-mode for troubleshooting? {Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support}

What is the MacBook Pro model? {Identify your MacBook Pro model - Apple Support}

Also good to mention the monitor model that is connected.

Depending on your model, have you tried any of the below resets

May 20, 2023 3:59 PM in response to Chuck McQuinn

I am having this problem as well. 

MacBookPro 13”, M1-2020

Chip Apple M1

MacOS: Monterey 

Ext Monitor: LG 32UD60

Worked as a pair since acquiring my M1-MBP and for several years before that with my previous MBP. I did recently abort an installation of a older version of Adobe Reader (according to document I received instructions (legit)) only to have it get stuck at 75% for days - even after multiple restarts. I read where somebody else had used a hard shutdown (holding down power button until unit shut off) to fix this problem. Thought I’d try it. It stopped the loading, but at some point thereafter my MBP stopped working in clamshell (could have been immediate or could have been days - just don’t recall).  Works fine as second or mirrored monitor just NOT in clamshell - using the exact same cables. Not sure if there is a causal relationship between the Adobe install and the clamshell fail other than being temporal.  Anyone able to help? It’d be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks. 

MacBook Pro Clamshell mode dysfunctional

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.