You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Distinguish between songs I've ripped from CDs and music I've added to my library via my subscription.

History: I have ripped 2000+ CDs worth of music, that I've collected over the last 40 years, to my Library in Apple Music. I also have an Apple Music subscription and add music to my library via the Download to Library/Playlist option.

Question: Using the Songs List view in the library, how do/can I distinguish between what I've added via ripping and what I've downloaded, but not yet purchased to own? I know there is the icloud icon, but my understanding is it only shows what's in the cloud that hasn't been downloaded to a device.

Point: I'd like to sort my Songs List by what is in my Apple Music Library and what I own and on my hard drive. That would allow me to more quickly go through what I don't own and purchase what I want. Or, does this go against Apple's business model that wants us to buy devices with more storage space or purchase more iCloud storage? Then again, maybe I'm too old and there's fewer of us that like to actually "own" our music.

If there is not way to do this via Apple Music, there should be. I like to listen to/explore a variety of music genres - some of which I will never remember later. I'd like to occasionally evaluate the music I've "downloaded" and "purchase" what I want so it is in a more permanent library. Under Apple Music, if you unsubscribe you lose access to what you've downloaded to your library. Life can get hectic; oftentimes, a song or group doesn't resonate with me after just a few plays, but once I gain an appreciation for them I'd like to support them by purchasing their music.

The question may have gotten lost, but I'd appreciate a response if you have an answer. If there is no answer, maybe Apple can work on providing an option if enough people agree. Thanks in advance.

Posted on Apr 15, 2023 6:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2023 7:18 AM

Hi,

When you begin an Apple Music subscription, the music is your library is scanned to determine what music is matched or uploaded. The iCloud status will show "Matched", Uploaded" and Purchased for music that has been added to the iCloud Music Library. The originals will remain on your computer but you have the option to remove download and redownload Matched versions. When you add music from your subscription, the iCloud Status will be "Apple Music". These tracks have DRM and ore only available whilst you have a current subscription.

Within Music app you could create Smart Playlists bas on iCloud Statatus. Music uses iCloud music library, not iCloud Storage. The only limit the number of tacks you can add 100k , not including iTunes Store purchases or Apple Music downloads

See Symbols used in Music on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

You should keep a separate back up on an external drive.

Jim

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 15, 2023 7:18 AM in response to JSAbrahamson

Hi,

When you begin an Apple Music subscription, the music is your library is scanned to determine what music is matched or uploaded. The iCloud status will show "Matched", Uploaded" and Purchased for music that has been added to the iCloud Music Library. The originals will remain on your computer but you have the option to remove download and redownload Matched versions. When you add music from your subscription, the iCloud Status will be "Apple Music". These tracks have DRM and ore only available whilst you have a current subscription.

Within Music app you could create Smart Playlists bas on iCloud Statatus. Music uses iCloud music library, not iCloud Storage. The only limit the number of tacks you can add 100k , not including iTunes Store purchases or Apple Music downloads

See Symbols used in Music on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

You should keep a separate back up on an external drive.

Jim

Distinguish between songs I've ripped from CDs and music I've added to my library via my subscription.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.