You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri spells out the word “comma” or “period”

When I’m dictating a message, Siri spells out the word “comma” or “period” instead of the punctuation mark. I’m using the English US keyboard. How do I fix this?

iPhone 14 Pro IOS 16.4

iPhone 14 Pro

Posted on Apr 17, 2023 10:31 AM

6 replies

Apr 19, 2023 11:44 AM in response to pschmidt99

Hi pschmidt99,

In this case we'd recommend updating your iOS version and seeing if the issue persists. Here's how:

"Update your iPhone or iPad wirelessly

1. Back up your device using iCloud or your computer.
  2. Plug your device into power and connect to the internet with Wi-Fi.
  3. Go to Settings > General, then tap Software Update.
  4. If you see more than one software update option available, choose the one that you want to install."

You can take a look at the full resource here: Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

If things continue you can reach out for additional support here: Get Support

Apr 20, 2023 11:56 AM in response to pschmidt99

Hi there pschmidt99,

Thanks for letting us know. Since you've isolated that this only happens in the Google Translate app, they can assist you further into looking into this. The article provided in a previous comment shows how to reach out to the app developer or you can reference the information from that article below: How to contact an app developer - Apple Support

"Contact the developer of an iOS, iPadOS, or watchOS app

1. Open the App Store on your iPhone or iPad.
  2. Search for the app, then tap it. If you can't find it, tap the account button  or your photo at the top of the screen, tap Purchased, tap "Not on this [device]," then tap the app.
  3. The app's product page appears. Scroll to the Ratings & Reviews section, then tap App Support. If you don't see App Support, make sure that you're signed in with the correct Apple ID."

Best wishes.

Apr 20, 2023 11:25 AM in response to pschmidt99

Hey pschmidt99,

Thanks for keeping us updated.

So just to confirm, is this occurring in the Google Translate app, or the translate feature on the Google website? If the issue occurs when using the translate feature on the Google website, does this occur when using Safari or another web browser?

If the issue is occurring with the Google Translate app, give the steps listed below from the following resource a try: If an app on your iPhone or iPad stops responding, closes unexpectedly, or won’t open - Apple Support

1. Close and reopen the app
Force the app to close. Then open the app to see if it works as expected.

2. Restart your device
Restart your iPhone or restart your iPad. Then open the app to see if it works as expected.

3. Check for updates
To see if updates are available for the app, open the App Store, tap your profile icon, then scroll down to see if updates are available. If updates aren't available for the app, update the software on your iPhone or iPad.

4. Delete the app, then redownload it
Delete the app. When you do this, you might lose data that was stored in the app. Then redownload the app. Then check to see if the problem with the app is fixed.

While we understand you may not be having issues with the app closing or not responding unexpectedly, the steps above can help with troubleshooting other issues with third-party apps as well.

If the issue continues after the steps above, then it may be best to reach out to the app developers to confirm if this is expected behavior. If it's not, then they would be the best option to provide additional troubleshooting on the issue. For help with reaching out to the app developers, check out this next link here: How to contact an app developer - Apple Support

Keep us updated on the results.

Take care!

Apr 20, 2023 11:31 AM in response to Chris_V89

It is failing on the Google Translate app on my iPhone 14 Pro.

Dictation of punctuation works correctly when I use Siri to dictate a note or a text message on my iPhone. So this seems like a Google problem!!

It used to work correctly. But it is not working now. It is possible things changed when I recently updated from an iPhone 12 to iPhone 14 pro.

Oct 29, 2023 7:36 AM in response to pschmidt99

I've checked that US Siri voices do that (I've tried 3 of them), while UK Siri voices seem to do it right (I've tried 2 of them).

For example, UK Siri voices won't say "comma" in: "for instance, let's see an example". I tried it in iPhone, by selecting the text and choosing "Speak".

You can check it right here, by selecting the sentence above.

Siri spells out the word “comma” or “period”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.