You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple trade-in page

Apple has a new trade in page

https://www.apple.com/shop/trade-in

It also gets accessed when you're purchasing something. It asks you what device you're trading in phone, Mac, iPad. It then asks you if it's an Apple device. OK. Then it asks for the serial number. Good so far. I put in the serial number for my 2021 M1 MBP. After the serial number it asks what computer it is. Really? Then it asks how many cores it has, and how much processor, and how large the storage. Am I missing something here? Isn't the serial number unique to the device? When I give Apple the serial number shouldn't the system know immediately what the hardware is? Why am I looking up all this stuff for Apple and likely getting it wrong?

Posted on Apr 17, 2023 2:29 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2023 3:54 PM

Apparently they aren't. Even when I select the correct CPU there are still other unknown variables…

"The iMac "Core i7" 4.0 27-Inch Aluminum (Retina 5K, Late 2015/Skylake) features a 14-nm "Skylake" Quad Core 4.0 GHz Intel "Core i7" processor (6700K) with four independent processor "cores" on a single chip, an 8 MB shared level 3 cache, 8 GB of 1867 MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM (PC3-14900) installed in pairs (two 4 GB modules), a 1 TB or 2 TB "Fusion Drive," and an AMD Radeon R9 M390 or AMD Radeon R9 M395 graphics processor with 2 GB of dedicated GDDR5 memory. It also has a built-in "FaceTime HD" webcam and stereo speakers."

12 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 17, 2023 3:54 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Apparently they aren't. Even when I select the correct CPU there are still other unknown variables…

"The iMac "Core i7" 4.0 27-Inch Aluminum (Retina 5K, Late 2015/Skylake) features a 14-nm "Skylake" Quad Core 4.0 GHz Intel "Core i7" processor (6700K) with four independent processor "cores" on a single chip, an 8 MB shared level 3 cache, 8 GB of 1867 MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM (PC3-14900) installed in pairs (two 4 GB modules), a 1 TB or 2 TB "Fusion Drive," and an AMD Radeon R9 M390 or AMD Radeon R9 M395 graphics processor with 2 GB of dedicated GDDR5 memory. It also has a built-in "FaceTime HD" webcam and stereo speakers."

Jul 7, 2023 9:27 AM in response to dialabrain

Oddly, when I enter my serial number on Beetstech it accurately recognises my device as a 2019 27-inch Retina iMac … enter the same serial number on Apple and it gives me a series of questions where my only year options are from Late-2013 to Late-2015 or Other, none of the HD sizes match my device, and then it tells me my device is ready to be recycled!

Apple trade-in page

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.