You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing malicious programs on clicking a link

A recent article in the Taipei Times on a spate of scams targeting iMessage states:

“Clicking on some links can allow malicious programs to be installed on iPhones, giving scammers access to authentication codes and personal and financial information,”
https://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2023/04/18/20037

Is this correct? Naturally following the links and entering credit card info is unwise, but I didn’t think clicking a link could install software on iOS

iPhone 11, iOS 14

Posted on Apr 18, 2023 5:30 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2023 5:35 PM

Instead of focusing on how bad things are done, consider focusing on what to do and what to avoid.

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Privacy - Control - Apple

Similar questions

5 replies

Apr 18, 2023 7:38 PM in response to Formosan2020

Formosan2020 Said:

"Installing malicious programs on clicking a link: A recent article in the Taipei Times on a spate of scams targeting iMessage states: [...]Is this correct? Naturally following the links and entering credit card info is unwise, but I didn’t think clicking a link could install software on iOS"

-------

Apps Automatically Downloading:

No. They will not install on their own. If you get a link, it might take you to a place to download it. Only get the downloads from the App Store, and no where else (as a way to avoid scams and such.

Restore to Factory Settings:

If you are so concerned, then restore your iPad to factory settings. Go here: What to do Before you Sell, Give Away, or Trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Apr 18, 2023 7:27 PM in response to Formosan2020

Yes thanks I am aware of how to avoid them, but I am specifically interested in if it is possible for malicious software to be installed through just a click.

There is a lot of advice on “not clicking links”, obviously to avoid phishing. But it isn’t clear to me of the risk when just clicking a link, maybe through embedded js etc. So my question is whether it is possible that a link itself can install or otherwise cause harm.

I am assuming not on iOS and that the article is incorrect, but I’d like confirmation to add that to my list of things to avoid. I know not clicking at all is the best option, but what if you do?

I’m also curious about macOS. You hear a lot about “compromised websites” and that clicking into a site can install malware without downloading anything. But maybe that’s not a suitable question for this thread.

Apr 19, 2023 4:32 AM in response to Formosan2020

Formosan2020 Said:

"Installing malicious programs on clicking a link: Thanks for the confirmation. No, I’m not concerned, just want to be aware of any potential new threats.

———-

You are welcome.

Potential Threats.

Yes. There are (and always have been) potential data threats(ie data leaking or just providing more emaogis. Apple is always working on creating Security Updates, and Security Updates are meant to fix potential Bgs. If you look at the information of an update, you will se what is in there, and what it potentially made a fix for.

Apple only provides Security Updates for a certain amount of time(usually up to 7 years). After that, none are provided for that item, and it is time to upgrade the operating system or to a new device.

Installing malicious programs on clicking a link

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.