You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unlocking laptop

I replaced my old MacBook Air and want to give it to a friend. But I can't unlock it--either I've forgotten the password or it doesn't work any more. There is no message about resetting the password after entering it three times. Suggestions please! Thanks

MacBook Air, macOS 12.6

Posted on Apr 20, 2023 12:19 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2023 6:37 PM

It appears you were reading the correct article linked at the top left of this page which I'm linking here again:

https://support.apple.com/HT212190

Go to the section titled "Start up from macOS Recovery" which will have you boot into recovery mode where you will then follow use the command line to issue a "resetpassword" command.

FYI, here is an Apple article on how to prepare a Mac for sale or giving a Mac away as this will disassociate your AppleID and accounts from the laptop and also will destroy all data on the internal SSD so the new user won't have access to any of your personal files and the new user will have a factory fresh experience when they get the laptop:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 21, 2023 6:37 PM in response to fiercewoman703

It appears you were reading the correct article linked at the top left of this page which I'm linking here again:

https://support.apple.com/HT212190

Go to the section titled "Start up from macOS Recovery" which will have you boot into recovery mode where you will then follow use the command line to issue a "resetpassword" command.

FYI, here is an Apple article on how to prepare a Mac for sale or giving a Mac away as this will disassociate your AppleID and accounts from the laptop and also will destroy all data on the internal SSD so the new user won't have access to any of your personal files and the new user will have a factory fresh experience when they get the laptop:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

unlocking laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.