You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Zigzag line in motion without manually creating ?

Hello @Everyone

Wanna create zigzag line backgrounds

We have auto zigzag option after effect ,

is there any auto way to create zigzag line

reference video

Posted on Apr 21, 2023 6:58 AM

6 replies

Apr 21, 2023 10:16 PM in response to CCRPND

Well... the short answer is no. Not with what Motion comes with.

You can, however, take a few minutes to create a preset. Afterwards, you can simply select the preset as a "Brush" for a shape's outline.

Start by using the Bezier tool. Set 3 Points:

For this example, the Control Points of the Shape are

Point 1 X -120 Y 55.0

Point 2 X 0 Y -55.0

Point 3 X 120 Y 55.0

For the Outline, set the Width to 24.

It is important that the end coordinates match so that the pattern ends will connect to each other.

You want to make sure that the points are evenly spaced. The Y values don't really matter that much and will depend on how "extreme" you want the Zig. You can even change that value while this is part of the brush for another outline stroke:

But that's a lesson for another day...

Now, to apply the v-shaped shape, create another Line shape (for now - this will work with just about any outline... but some non-linear shapes will take some work to make it look right.)

In the 2nd Line's Shape > Style inspector, for the Outline, set the Brush Type to Image*. For the Brush Source, drag the original Bezier object into the Brush Source well.

[*The Image Brush Type accepts not only bitmap images, but Shape objects as well.]

Now... you will need to adjust the Width parameters and **especially** the Spacing parameter to get the v-brush shape to line up end to end.

For my example, I had an Outline Width of 45 and a Spacing of 177.86%. (YYMV!!)

One more step:

Go into the Stroke inspector. Select the "Align Brush Angle" option. You also have the option to adjust the Brush Angle (say - 180º if you want to flip the zigzag pattern.) The "pattern" needs to be aligned to whatever shape outline in order for the end points to touch each other.

This the result of using the v-shape "brush" "painted" over a Line shape (if you blow this up full-size, you should be able to see the actual Line and control points.)

Right above the Fill section of the Shape > Style inspector is a "Shape Style" drop down menu.

With the Zigzag line selected, Select Save Shape Style and name it ... ZigZag (or whatever).

From now on, when you want to create a ZigZag line or shape outline, go to this Shape Style menu and select your creation!

You will need to re-adjust the Outline Width after applying the Style to an outline shape. (The Spacing will be "remembered".)

Don't worry about how weird it looks in the menu. I told you that you will probably have to make modifications to Width, Spacing and you might have to go back into the original V-shape to make adjustments as well, if you apply this to non-linear outline shapes. On the upside, it is rather easily customizable (the original v-shape will be loaded into the layers list when you apply the style to a shape!).

How this rates vs. AE, I haven't got a clue. I haven't used AE in over 20 years.

If I skipped a step (or 2) and you run into trouble, just let me know.

Zigzag line in motion without manually creating ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.