You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a good app remover for MacOS to remove old app files?

Is there a good app remover to remove old app files that don't get dragged to trash bin when you dump an app in the trash many files are still left behind.

[Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Apr 25, 2023 9:48 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2023 10:58 AM

> many files are still left behind

The space and functionality those leftover settings files take in ~/Library is usually non-existent.

BUT removing such files without knowing what you and maybe the much advertised "cleaning" app really does might sometimes produce unexpected weird errors. ...so you might later come to ask here ambiguous questions like "why my Mac acts this way".

So avoid that unless you know what you are doing!

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 26, 2023 10:58 AM in response to bikeman5

> many files are still left behind

The space and functionality those leftover settings files take in ~/Library is usually non-existent.

BUT removing such files without knowing what you and maybe the much advertised "cleaning" app really does might sometimes produce unexpected weird errors. ...so you might later come to ask here ambiguous questions like "why my Mac acts this way".

So avoid that unless you know what you are doing!

Apr 26, 2023 5:51 PM in response to bikeman5

To the Moderator, thank you for answering in the email. It is as what I thought, you see so much stuff that they appear to be apple supported sites, just like on expensive eggs the put hormone free, all eggs are hormone free, it is hard for a consumer. So many video Makers out there pushing these product as good for apple. Thank you again

Apr 26, 2023 5:56 PM in response to Ronasara

sometimes yes they also come with it, im not into down loading much, but I have tried a lot of apps, language apps, shopping apps, sports apps, motorcycle apps, apps for devices ive owned, 99% from apple app, some from manufacturers like MicroSoft office, which is now in App Store. Nothing really serious, don't have a clunky Mac got tons of storage. Just always trying to make the Mac better and so much in the App Store. Thanks

Apr 26, 2023 6:34 PM in response to Matti Haveri

Thank you, it was more curiosity and looking for way to improve an already awesome Mac. I watch what id say is a lot of reputable videos, many are pushing those products from apps, I figured it is how the earn some money running an ad like it isn't an add. I am not gonna worry about anything. Just gonna let Apple do it's thing and ill keep using their devices, ive got several 3 MBPros, 5 iPhones, 2 iPods and an iPad, I like small phones like the loved my 12 mini got 13 mini now also, no need for pods with iPhone, don't like the iPad Loved my 2012 15", got a 2015 13" to travel, it did not work out that way I still used the 2012, now I Got 16" 2021 M1 Max 2tb 32gb Ram. I was getting these pop up ads from Safari, they were made to look like notifications from the system, I had thought I had malware, Ran a scan and my 2021 is clean, after that i figured out it was a pop up from safari, I had to quit Safari reload New Safari window. prob solved. I used Malware bytes then deleted it because nothing was found I was still getting those pop ups, I also added Malwarebytes Browser Guard. Prob don't need that. Scan tool I used was Zap Anti Virus Scanner. I was gonna dump Zap, I do however have a duplicate file finder app for finding exact match photos which ive got tons, I dump my phones photos and sometimes many of the same photos get downloaded again.

I love big MBPros and small iPhones, got 3 Apple TVs as well. Bought 4 new Time Capsules, 3 2Tbs & 1 3Tb in 2015, Just retired one 2Tb for the 2012 after using it 8 years before it started acting up, using another new 2Tb & the 3TB on the new 2021.

Thanks again Matti for you time and suggestion.

Apr 26, 2023 7:00 PM in response to bikeman5

I forgot to mention when I bought my first Mac in 2012 I was up sold trend macro anti virus, my MBPro ran like crap, apple techs worked with me, realized that was on there and said get rid of it, MacBook Pro ran great, hard drive change after 6 years used from 750 to 1TB, just changed ram that was 11yrs old, put in 16GB from iFixit, just got 2TB drive for it, thing is running awesome. no viruses ever, still on Catalina, hasn't been security update in sometime. Apple may be done, Only issue some apps are not updating, and some don't run anymore like number, if I would have never updated that last time.

Is there a good app remover for MacOS to remove old app files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.