You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what if i forgot my appleID?

I have an old iPhone 5. The original appleID email that is stored when I first got the phone is no longer in use and I can no longer access it. However, I need to access and use the phone, I just want to use my updated appleID instead, but I am unable to get passed the "activation" part because it is asking me for the old email I no longer have access to... is there a way I can bypass this or totally reset the phone so that I can activate it using my up to date appleID???????

Posted on Apr 27, 2023 3:16 PM

3 replies

Apr 27, 2023 3:23 PM in response to unplugged25

Activation Lock is intended as a theft-deterrent mechanism. A theft deterrent that is easy to bypass would not be much of a deterrent.

Nobody here in the Apple Discussion Forums can help you clear Activation Lock.

To clear an Activation Lock, you will need the password of the associated Apple ID, or the original purchase receipt and a discussion with Apple Support, or similar proof of ownership.

For recovering access to your own Apple ID, if you are the holder of the Apple ID associated with the Activation Lock:

If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

If you forgot your Apple ID - Apple Support

Apple’s I Forgot Service

How to use account recovery when you can’t reset your Apple ID password - Apple Support

Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security - Apple Support

what if i forgot my appleID?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.