You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What exactly is Rapid Security Response?

I don’t really understand what Rapid Response Security is. Can you please explain?

iPhone 13, iOS 16

Posted on May 2, 2023 11:47 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 2, 2023 11:53 AM

Here's Apple's explanation --> About Rapid Security Responses for iOS, iPadOS, and macOS - Apple Support

It appears to be another kind of rapid deployment software update that may, for example, just address some urgent issue (particularly to do with security). Regular updates may do something such as add an emoji or two so aren't really urgent.

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 2, 2023 11:53 AM in response to Hubbydogme

Here's Apple's explanation --> About Rapid Security Responses for iOS, iPadOS, and macOS - Apple Support

It appears to be another kind of rapid deployment software update that may, for example, just address some urgent issue (particularly to do with security). Regular updates may do something such as add an emoji or two so aren't really urgent.

May 18, 2023 4:37 PM in response to Johnathan Burger

Linked Article? What Linked article? If the link isn't coming from a Apple page I'd be duly suspicious of its authenticity.

Apple security updates - Apple SupportI

Indicates Software Update did come out with some updates today to address security.

But RSR is not listed. I recommend anyone confused please post feedback to http://www.apple.com/feedback

asking for these update descriptions to be more informative. At this point most of us end users can only speculate what their nature is.

May 5, 2023 5:37 PM in response to Limnos

All of the Rapid Security Response Software information is cryptic. Nothing I’ve read tells me what exactly was just automatically installed on my device. Unless I am to assume that only the “software” was installed… IF my operating system was vulnerable then I / we all deserve to be informed of the details of how so. Otherwise, this is easily interpreted as - we put something on your phone, to help you, trust us…

May 5, 2023 10:41 PM in response to Hubbydogme

It's explained in the linked article:

Rapid Security Responses are a new type of software release for iPhone, iPad, and Mac. They deliver important security improvements between software updates — for example, improvements to the Safari web browser, the WebKit framework stack, or other critical system libraries. They may also be used to mitigate some security issues more quickly, such as issues that might have been exploited or reported to exist "in the wild."

Read it, ot clearly explains what it is.

It's a high priority security patch that can't wait for the normal point update of ios

I don't understand what it is that you aren't understanding.

What exactly is Rapid Security Response?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.