You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is the call microphone not working on iPhone?

when receiving a call or trying to call out no one can hear me. It says microphone standard on or mic on. I do not understand how to get this. Turned off everything I'm reading does not help please help me.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12

Posted on May 4, 2023 12:47 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2023 3:19 AM

I don't see the mic mode when I pull up my control center for my iphone 8, because I wanna try/use voice isolation mode.

I'm running on 16.5.1.

14 replies

Jun 1, 2023 5:19 PM in response to Bill_T1

To see or change Mic Mode on an iPhone, you must actually be on a call (Phone or FaceTime). Bring up Control Center and you will see Mic Mode in its upper right corner. Touch Mic Mode there to see (and change if you like) its setting. Mic Mode will retain its setting through subsequent calls.

May 9, 2023 7:40 AM in response to PastaKathy

Hi PastaKathy,

If you suspect a problem with your device microphone, check out If the microphones on your iPhone aren't working for some steps to isolate the concern:

"Clear the microphones

1. Remove any screen protectors, films, or cases from your iPhone.
  2. Clear any debris from the openings of your iPhone."

and

"If people can't hear you on phone or FaceTime calls

1. Open the Voice Memos app. 
  2. Tap the Record button , speak at the bottom of your phone, then stop the recording. 
  3. When you play back the memo, you should hear your voice clearly.

If people can't hear you when you're using speakerphone 

1. Open the Camera app.
  2. Record a video while speaking at the top of your iPhone.
  3. Tap the camera chooser  to switch to the other camera. Then record another video while speaking at the top of your iPhone.
  4. When you play back the videos, you should hear your voice clearly."

You can also test using paired or connected headphones that include a microphone. If those work and the other steps do not help, service is likely required and consulting Apple Support will be next.

Regards.

Jan 4, 2024 4:12 PM in response to Samanthagh

It sounds like you got your phone wet. It should be working once you shut it off and let it dry out.

You must turn the phone off immediately after it got wet if that’s the case if you did not get it wet then disregard a bad rainstorm that matters also. You’ll notice that first you cannot hear anything. As it sits there in the box with the silica packets, that will dry it out fast. After about a half an hour you make a phone call, you’ll notice you will barely be able to hear the other party. Although as time goes by you’ll be able to hear them better and better, the phone will actually get louder and louder as your phone dries completely.

Why is the call microphone not working on iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.