You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete System Data

Running Ventura 13.3.1 and have 258GB of System Data on a 500GB drive. How can I reduce this to free up more space. Have already tried CleanMyMac X (paid version).

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on May 4, 2023 2:18 PM

11 replies

May 5, 2023 2:07 AM in response to ersensen

ersensen wrote:

Solution found! Open CleanMyMac X > Go to Space Lens > Cache. This showed 125GB of After Effects Cache files :) System data is now down to 96 GB.

Part of of 2

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS,  is an invitation for disaster. 

Certain Applications maybe available on the Apple Apps Store - this only means the Developer is prepared to pay Apple a portion on each sale. What the Application may do to the computer is up to the User to check this out before purchase

Any of the below should be removed as per Developers Instructions 

1 - Disk Cleaner 

This will include CleanMyMac , aka “ BrickMyMac

Read some of the posting and arrive at your own conclusions.

Part 2 of 2

In macOS 11 Big Sur, macOS 12 Monterey and macOS 13 Ventura. 

The Operating System resides in a Sealed and Read Only Volume that can not be opened by the User nor by Third Party Applications.

The only Entity that can open and modify or alter this Volume is Apple.

That would occur when a update or UpGrade is performed.

The final word from Apple on Managing the " Other/ System Data “ Category

Other / System Data: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

May 5, 2023 7:38 AM in response to Charles Palenz

Specific to CleanMyMac aka “ BrickMyMac “

The steps in #1 below is predicated on the Offending  Application has been Removed as per the Developers Specific Instruction 

#1 - Some Contributors suggest restarting in Recovery Mode and choosing to Reinstall the Operating System over  the existing installation. 

This may or may not replace elements of the Entire Operating System including the Home Folder ( User Account )  and replace any corrupted or removed elements of the Operating System and make thing right.

#2 - Then there are Other Contributors ( like myself ) would suggest  from this link Use Disk Utility to erase a Mac with Apple silicon.

For Intel computer >> Use Disk Utility to erase an Intel-based Mac followed by How to reinstall macOS

Thereafter to start from scratch and install all Required Application directly from the Apple Apps Store or Directly from the Developer.

If going this route - I suggest Not using Startup Assist to migrate things back  as this will probably Re-Introduce the existing  issue that existed when the TM Backup was made 

May 4, 2023 8:13 PM in response to ersensen

How big is the applications folder on your MacHD? I have 110GB of applications, maybe you have 200GB of applications? IF you have 200GB of applications, the only way to reduce size is to delete applications. Or get a bigger HD or a big external HD.

If you have video files, those usually are big files and may need to be moved to an external HD. Photos in the 10,000 up range take a lot of GB space too. Database files can be big too. The container folder in your library may be bloated by one of your applications.

Ultimately, to make space on your Mac HD, you must remove something, programs you do not use, or move files and archives to an external drive. You already removed trash files with cleaning software and all that's left requires a decision on your part as to whether you need a program or a file. Most likely you just have too many files and applications and none of that can be compressed.

May 4, 2023 10:29 PM in response to ersensen

you have access thru the finder. You have to do a lot of searching to locate, I start with :

select: MacHD, users folder, (your name as user), Library, Containers

Others have found in containers some very large GB size files created by a database application and the cure was to delete the (unused) program and this one container file. Since you have had your computer a long time, you may have container files for programs you no longer use. My container file is 5.5GB and see what you have. And if normal, you have to examine all the other folders to locate something out of normal. Not easy.

On my computer System Data occupies 98GB; macOS is 13.5GB and many GB in other areas. See how yours compares. And keep searching for the location of the large GB file(s).

How to delete System Data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.