You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I wanted to know if the remote to the new Apple TV versions will work to old Apple TV version

I wanted to know if the the newer version of Apple TV remote will work with the old version of apple tv?

Posted on May 7, 2023 8:03 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 7, 2023 8:10 AM

The Siri Remote (3rd generation) (latest model) will work with Apple TV boxes on system software version tvOS 15.4 or later.

So if you have an Apple TV HD (4th generation) (A1625) (2015) or later model, then this remote can work.

Earlier models [A1469, A1427, A1378, A1218] do not support the latest model remote.

Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

Find your Apple TV model number - Apple Support Apple TV remote models and their compatibility - Apple Support

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 7, 2023 8:10 AM in response to ndayishimi

The Siri Remote (3rd generation) (latest model) will work with Apple TV boxes on system software version tvOS 15.4 or later.

So if you have an Apple TV HD (4th generation) (A1625) (2015) or later model, then this remote can work.

Earlier models [A1469, A1427, A1378, A1218] do not support the latest model remote.

Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

Find your Apple TV model number - Apple Support Apple TV remote models and their compatibility - Apple Support

Nov 27, 2023 10:42 PM in response to J_Expo

Please verify if tvOS 17 also updated the remote firmware.

Settings﹥Remotes and Devices﹥Remote﹥Firmware Version: 0x83.

If not, then allow Apple TV to do so, by keeping the Siri Remote (2nd generation or later) bluetooth connected and charged enough (>50%) for some idle time.

The Find option reveals itself from the drop-down menu at the top device selector in the software remote.

I wanted to know if the remote to the new Apple TV versions will work to old Apple TV version

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.