You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Drive data store online and locally?

I have not used iCloud Drive.

When I do turn it on, it shows a number of apps apparently already using iCloud Drive. Why?

If I add Documents and Desktop, is there a way to both have those files locally/offline/on my Mac as well as in iCloud Drive? If so, how.

I use Dropbox now for syncing across devises and an added backup. If I were to enable iCloud Drive, can I move all those files to Documents from Dropbox and replace Dropbox with iCloud Drive? Any pros or cons?

Thanks.

Mac mini (M2 Pro, 2023)

Posted on May 7, 2023 4:51 PM

10 replies

Jun 15, 2023 6:11 AM in response to muguy

muguy, thanks for quick response and clarification.

So, in my case,

• I have iCloud+ with plenty of space available
  • I have plenty of space on my iMac for all of my files (inc documents and desktop)
  • I am running latest versions of everything

Ideally, what I'd like to do is

• Store all files locally so I can work offline if necessary (but this would really refer to my MBA)
  • Have all files copied and stored in iCloud Drive
  • Be able to update a file locally which would then automatically update the file in iCloud
  • This syncing would mainly be required for my documents folder

So the questions are

• Are the 4 things I want to do possible?
  • I assume that I'd have to switch on 'Desktop and Documents Folders'
  • As you have already explained, I would also switch on 'Optimise Mac Storage'.
  • When switching this on, I accept I lose the folders from Favourites but are these same folders then relocated to under iCloud Drive under the iCloud banner in the sidebar?
  • If so and for future use, is it as simple as updating the documents in the iCloud drive which will save the files locally as well as sync to iCloud for my other devices to access?

Apologies for the drawn out questions but if you say yes to everything, then I'd be thrilled and very impressed with Apple's implementation of this facility. If not, can you please manage my expectations....

Cheers, Roy

Jun 15, 2023 3:27 AM in response to muguy

muguy, I've got myself into a bit of a muddle as I followed the supporting text under 'Optimise Mac Storage' which appears to be contradictory to what you are saying - I'm reading it that you have to turn this feature on to keep files locally (if space permits)

I attach a screenshot. Hopefully you will be able to answer and then I may be asking another dumb question.

Cheers

Roy

Jun 15, 2023 5:59 PM in response to RCully

The 4 things that you want is exactly how iCloud works.

switching on desktop and documents moves those folders into iCloud Drive.

You would leave optimize off unless you’re concerned about space. Remember, optimize move less accessed/largest files into iCloud only ( you would need to download those again).

Jun 16, 2023 5:49 AM in response to muguy

muguy.

Excellent - and thank you for the clarification.

Through the many documents that Apple have produced, I believe none of them have the explicit feature list of my 4 'ideals' above. This is what has caused my confusion but from the many number of questions similar to mine that have been raised on this and other forums, I hope your answer also clears this up for them as well.

Cheers

iCloud Drive data store online and locally?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.