You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i have active iCloud and i use optimize storage on the photos, still the mac is occupying 120Gb storage

i have active iCloud and i use optimize storage on the photos, still the mac is occupying 120Gb storage

Posted on May 10, 2023 7:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 11, 2023 8:55 AM

How large is the library in iCloud?

Even with optimize Storage you cannot remove the library completely from your device and keep it only in iCloud. You still need a local copy of the library with the thumbnails and previews, the metadata, the albums, etc.

The "Optimization" will at most remove the original image files and replace them by smaller, optimized versions. Depending on the format and size of your originals, the fully optimized version of your local Photos library can shrink down to 10 % of the size of the full library, but typically the optimized library on my mac with the least storage has a size of 25% of the library in iCloud.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 11, 2023 8:55 AM in response to meena232

How large is the library in iCloud?

Even with optimize Storage you cannot remove the library completely from your device and keep it only in iCloud. You still need a local copy of the library with the thumbnails and previews, the metadata, the albums, etc.

The "Optimization" will at most remove the original image files and replace them by smaller, optimized versions. Depending on the format and size of your originals, the fully optimized version of your local Photos library can shrink down to 10 % of the size of the full library, but typically the optimized library on my mac with the least storage has a size of 25% of the library in iCloud.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.