You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keeping App Store purchases when upgrading from an Intel Mac to an Apple Silicone Mac

I currently own a 2017 13" 2 Thunderbolt Intel based MacBook Pro. When the time comes for me to upgrade and get an Apple Silicone based MacBook, will I get to keep all of my App Store purchases (obviously hoping the developers of the apps having released a version for the Apple Silicone Mac) and re-download the new versions, or would I need to re-purchase them for use on the newer MacBook?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.3

Posted on May 12, 2023 9:49 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 12, 2023 9:53 PM

You'll be able to redownload them from the Mac App Store if they're still available there and using the same Apple ID; if one or more hasn't been coded for Silicon Macs, the computer will use Rosetta 2 to run the Intel version.

If one has been removed, transfer it from the old computer manually.

(239433)

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 12, 2023 9:53 PM in response to kevinp240

You'll be able to redownload them from the Mac App Store if they're still available there and using the same Apple ID; if one or more hasn't been coded for Silicon Macs, the computer will use Rosetta 2 to run the Intel version.

If one has been removed, transfer it from the old computer manually.

(239433)

Keeping App Store purchases when upgrading from an Intel Mac to an Apple Silicone Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.