You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Permanently delete Mac mail messages?

How do I permanently delete my Mac mail from the server after eliminating mail in trash bin?

Posted on May 17, 2023 8:18 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 17, 2023 8:38 AM

That depends on what type of account you have. For IMAP or Exchange accounts, it should be immediate. These accounts sync your client with the server, so if something is deleted from the trash locally it should be also on the server.

If you still have a POP account, it depends on the settings. It may be set to delete immediately after downloading, or after a set amount of time. The trash in your mac is not connected or synced to the trash on the server.

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 17, 2023 8:38 AM in response to UteHwk

That depends on what type of account you have. For IMAP or Exchange accounts, it should be immediate. These accounts sync your client with the server, so if something is deleted from the trash locally it should be also on the server.

If you still have a POP account, it depends on the settings. It may be set to delete immediately after downloading, or after a set amount of time. The trash in your mac is not connected or synced to the trash on the server.

May 17, 2023 8:52 AM in response to UteHwk

UteHwk wrote:

Also, is my email stored on a server in the cloud?

Again, it depends...

For POP accounts, mail is downloaded and stored in your Mac.

For IMAP and Exchange accounts, mail is synchronized between devices.

This makes it easy to access your e-mail in your Mac as well as the iPhone, for example.

You can, however, make sure to keep messages only on your mac, independently of the server or other devices: that is what the "On My Mac" location you can see in the Mail Sidebar is for.

Any message that you move or copy to a mailbox "On My Mac" will be stored there, irrespective of the server or other devices.

May 17, 2023 9:01 AM in response to UteHwk

Unless it’s an @icloud.com email account, Apple has nothing to do with your email. Only your email provider can answer the question as to whether copies of it exist anywhere on their servers. I would be surprised if they don’t have backups that are kept for some period of time that might contain email you have since deleted.

May 17, 2023 9:13 AM in response to UteHwk

I don’t know what Apple’s backup policy is. I’m sure they make backups on a regular schedule to recover from a disaster.

Apple is probably one of the most privacy conscious companies in the world, however, so I wouldn’t be too worried about copies of your emails falling into the wrong hands.

Of course, Apple will cooperate with law enforcement and provide information they are required to under the law when presented with a court order to do so…

Permanently delete Mac mail messages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.