You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photo imported

Dear, i have imported my photos as usual to external hard drive through my Mac but this time i cant see the photos only AAE. file and when i open it says unsupported file type.

now whats the solution? how i find my photos?

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on May 18, 2023 4:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 18, 2023 8:04 AM

When you transfer photos from an iPhone to a Mac using the Photos app or iCloud Photos, the AAE files are also transferred along with the edited photos. However, the AAE files are primarily used by the Photos app on iOS devices to apply and display the edits made to the photos.

AAE is a file format associated with iPhone photos, specifically when they undergo edits or adjustments using the built-in editing tools in the "Photos" app.

When you edit a photo on an iPhone, the original image file remains intact, and the edits you make are saved as instructions in a separate file with the .AAE extension. This file contains the information about the edits you made, such as cropping, filters, adjustments to brightness or color, and other modifications.

The purpose of the AAE file is to preserve the original photo while keeping a record of the specific edits applied to it. The AAE file is relatively small in size and only contains the instructions for reproducing the edits on the original photo. This allows you to revert to the original image or make further adjustments without losing the edit history.

It's important to note that the AAE file itself does not contain the actual photo data. It is associated with the original photo and is required for the "Photos" app to apply the edits and display the modified version correctly.

If you transfer the edited photo to a device or software that doesn't recognize AAE files (such as a non-Apple device or third-party photo editing software), the edits may not be visible. In such cases, it's recommended to export the edited photo as a new image file (e.g., JPEG) that can be universally recognized and viewed on different platforms.

In summary, AAE files are generated by the "Photos" app on iPhones to store editing instructions and preserve the edit history while keeping the original photo intact.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 18, 2023 8:04 AM in response to parez193

When you transfer photos from an iPhone to a Mac using the Photos app or iCloud Photos, the AAE files are also transferred along with the edited photos. However, the AAE files are primarily used by the Photos app on iOS devices to apply and display the edits made to the photos.

AAE is a file format associated with iPhone photos, specifically when they undergo edits or adjustments using the built-in editing tools in the "Photos" app.

When you edit a photo on an iPhone, the original image file remains intact, and the edits you make are saved as instructions in a separate file with the .AAE extension. This file contains the information about the edits you made, such as cropping, filters, adjustments to brightness or color, and other modifications.

The purpose of the AAE file is to preserve the original photo while keeping a record of the specific edits applied to it. The AAE file is relatively small in size and only contains the instructions for reproducing the edits on the original photo. This allows you to revert to the original image or make further adjustments without losing the edit history.

It's important to note that the AAE file itself does not contain the actual photo data. It is associated with the original photo and is required for the "Photos" app to apply the edits and display the modified version correctly.

If you transfer the edited photo to a device or software that doesn't recognize AAE files (such as a non-Apple device or third-party photo editing software), the edits may not be visible. In such cases, it's recommended to export the edited photo as a new image file (e.g., JPEG) that can be universally recognized and viewed on different platforms.

In summary, AAE files are generated by the "Photos" app on iPhones to store editing instructions and preserve the edit history while keeping the original photo intact.

May 18, 2023 7:57 AM in response to parez193

It would be better if you can please re-post with a screenshot, in order to understand the phenomenon better. Images/pictures speak louder than words. 

Please understand this is a public forum: While attaching a Screenshot, do not provide any personal credentials, such as IP address, Card detail, email id, apple id, IMEI number, Serial Number, Phone number, Order ID, if you are sharing a map ensure your location is not identifiable, etc.

With the limited information that you have provided, It is hard to even guess the problems faced by you. 

You may get faster and better responses to your query by --> Writing an effective Apple Support Commun… - Apple ...

Please re-post with detail so that someone else can help.

photo imported

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.