You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootable installer difficulties - createinstallmedia command not found

Hello

I recently found my old MacBook Pro 2009 that I have no use for, and plan on selling it or giving to a family member. The hard drive has since kicked the bucket, so I purchased a new SSD, and I am trying to create a OS X El Capitan installer. The original Snow Leopard disks have since been lost.

However, every single time I attempt to do this, it gives me the same error: create installmedia, command not found. I can't open InstallMacOSX.pkg without starting the installer because I can't for some reason open the package's contents. I am creating it with my Mid 2011 iMac running High Sierra. Also, I can't even find the .app file, because it is a .pkg file, and again, the issue mentioned above.

Here is an example:

For an easier read: sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/elcapitaninstall --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app

Am I typing in a wrong command? Any Google, Apple Discussions, MacWorld, Apple Support, etc. results land me back to square one.

Regards,

mdp1101

iMac 21.5″

Posted on May 21, 2023 2:21 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 21, 2023 2:24 PM

You probably missed the highlighted steps:

Above from: How to download macOS - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies

Bootable installer difficulties - createinstallmedia command not found

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.