You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pop up notice about system infected on my computer after logging on to a website every 15 minutes

I listed a camera on eBay and a bidder asked a question about the # of images and gave me a web site to verify it.

I went to it and another screen popped up about a request to buy virus software.

I immediately closed it out.

Unfortunately every 15 minutes a notice in the upper right hand corner of my Mac Studio shows a notice of with banners like "System Mac OS is infected", Gmail is infected, etc

Nothing seems to have changed in my using the computer.

I have tried : restart, shutting down, Disk Utility repair, file fault and it keeps showing.

I am old and not the best at this so I need simply directions to what may be a complicated process.

Thanks,

Mac Studio, macOS 13.3

Posted on May 29, 2023 11:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 29, 2023 11:55 AM

If these are sliding in the from the top right of the screen, a site you visited has given itself permission to send push notifications. Everything you're seeing is nothing but a scam.

Open Safari's preferences. Click on the Websites tab and then scroll down to Notifications. Clear any entries in the right hand window. You might find something similar in the Pop-up Windows heading below that. Block any you don't recognize.

Then if you want, uncheck the box below as shown here.

I personally can't think of any reason why I would ever want any website to push notices to me.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 29, 2023 11:55 AM in response to Gregory Lamont

If these are sliding in the from the top right of the screen, a site you visited has given itself permission to send push notifications. Everything you're seeing is nothing but a scam.

Open Safari's preferences. Click on the Websites tab and then scroll down to Notifications. Clear any entries in the right hand window. You might find something similar in the Pop-up Windows heading below that. Block any you don't recognize.

Then if you want, uncheck the box below as shown here.

I personally can't think of any reason why I would ever want any website to push notices to me.

May 29, 2023 12:25 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Thanks guys, I really, really appreciated the answers.

Now, if only you had a miracle cure to get rid of the spam I get in my ATT email accounts, I have three and I stopped using them and went to gmail which I guess has very good filters or the spammers have not caught unto these accounts yet, LLOL

I have tried changing settings in the mail preferences and accounts and nothing works that I can figure out.

Again, thank you very much,

Greg

Pop up notice about system infected on my computer after logging on to a website every 15 minutes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.