You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

get rid of fake mcafee notifications

How do I stop fake McAfee virus notifications?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.12

Posted on May 29, 2023 8:23 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 30, 2023 12:13 PM

Please check Safari Preferences/ Settings to check for bogus notifications.

Settings - Websites - Notifications. Remove all sites listed here.

6 replies

May 30, 2023 12:07 PM in response to NANJH

NANJH Said:

"How do I stop fake McAfee virus notifications?: I never installed McAfee on this device. The notices started when I opened an email.”

———-

Getting McAfee Virus Notifications:

A. Provide a Screenshot:

If these are pop up messages, the please provide a screenshot of them. Go Here: Take a Screenshot on your iPhone - Apple Support. IMPORTANT: Blank hot personal info (ie names) by covering it with red-colored rectangles and such.

B. Create an eMail Filter:

If this is an eMail, then filter it out by the sender. Perhaps including keywords. Contact your eMail carrier about how to do so.

May 29, 2023 8:26 PM in response to NANJH

NANJH Said:

"How do I stop fake McAfee virus notifications?"

-------

Troubleshooting McAfee:

Uninstall McAfee, and you wouldn't have this problem. So, uninstall it, and then restart after the install. Get the installer from McAfee, and none other, as a way to avoid scams. If you were to just drag it to the trash, then files (i.e. shortcuts and caches) would be laying about your Mac. Security Software just gets in the way on an Apple device, and this is a pure example of how and why.

get rid of fake mcafee notifications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.