You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Photo Stream will be shut down on July 26

Why is "Photo Stream" shutting down? Whats behind it? got too data intensive?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 30, 2023 5:57 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 30, 2023 6:24 PM

Thomasso99 Said:

"My Photo Stream will be shut down on July 26: Why is "Photo Stream" shutting down? Whats behind it? got too data intensive?"

-------

Troubleshooting Photo Scream:

There has been a major change to come. The discontinuance of Photo Screen is about to occur. So, export your photos. Learn More on this Here: Information About the My Photo Stream Shutdown - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 30, 2023 6:24 PM in response to Thomasso99

Thomasso99 Said:

"My Photo Stream will be shut down on July 26: Why is "Photo Stream" shutting down? Whats behind it? got too data intensive?"

-------

Troubleshooting Photo Scream:

There has been a major change to come. The discontinuance of Photo Screen is about to occur. So, export your photos. Learn More on this Here: Information About the My Photo Stream Shutdown - Apple Support

May 30, 2023 6:35 PM in response to Thomasso99

There were quite a few limitation with My Photo Stream:

• Only saved for 30 days
  • No support for Live Photos
  • Only lower resolution saved on iPhones
  • Editing the photo only applied to the photo on the device, not the original
  • No Videos
  • No Watch support

The benefits of course were that it was free and when used on the Mac it would save to the Library automatically at full resolution. Using iCloud Photos solves all these problems, but it does come at a cost, even though it is only 99 cents a month for 50Gb. It is also included in all Apple One subscriptions.

There is no doubt it is a push to use iCloud Photos and Apple does benefit monetarily from it, but My Photo Stream did have its flaws and there was no incentive for Apple to make it better. As iCloud Photos and Apple One subscriptions become more popular, the less My Photo Stream would be used.

My Photo Stream will be shut down on July 26

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.