You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac Retina Mid 2017 (Fusion Drive) Recovery mode not working

Hi,

I got the above iMAC and I have a problem of accessing the Recovery mode of it.

I guess this happened after I tried to install Windows via BootCamp and then failed. (Allocated partition was recovered using bootcamp itself)

Neither of following doesn't work at the moment while booting with a Mac OS Ventura Bootable USB.

(Earlier I installed Ventura using the same method)

1. Command+R

2. Command+Option+R

3. Command+Shift+Option+R

I tried resetting NVRAM/PRAM & SMC too. That too doesn't work.

Now it's on Mac OS Ventura. What ever key combination I tried it always goes to the login screen now.

I checked whether there is a keyboard issue or a bootable USB issue but both have no issues.

Also when I checked the disk by diskutil list. That too shows recovery partition is fine. (As per my understanding,correct me if I am wrong) Figure attached.

I have already downloaded the Mac OS Ventura APP in to the applications. If I try to re-install it while inside the OS (without going to recovery mode), the recovery mode or recovery partition can be repaired?

Can you please suggest what I can do.

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jun 5, 2023 9:01 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2023 10:35 PM

Plug in the charging cable to your wireless keyboard in order to make it a wired keyboard. Then restart in the Recovery Partition (Command + R), continue to hold down the keystroke combo until it starts up. If after 4-5 minutes it still will not start then you have to face the possibility of a failed Fusion Drive and call AppleCare, use the following link for the phone number in your area: AppleCare Contact Info

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 5, 2023 10:35 PM in response to kasunds

Plug in the charging cable to your wireless keyboard in order to make it a wired keyboard. Then restart in the Recovery Partition (Command + R), continue to hold down the keystroke combo until it starts up. If after 4-5 minutes it still will not start then you have to face the possibility of a failed Fusion Drive and call AppleCare, use the following link for the phone number in your area: AppleCare Contact Info

iMac Retina Mid 2017 (Fusion Drive) Recovery mode not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.