You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any limitation for display connection on macbook pro?

'm trying to connect 2 displays to macbook pro with M1, 2021. I need to use them to extend desktop, not to mirror. For that I have the following adapter, which claims to give dual monitor.

However, the most I can achieve is mirroring mode, from which I conclude that there is a limitation in usb-c port or macbook video adapter to use single usb-c port per display. It means if I want to have extending mode, I need to use two usb-c ports(which obviously tested and works). Can someone confirm this limitation?

Posted on Jun 7, 2023 2:05 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2023 11:00 AM

Peter Robins wrote:

CalDigit Thunderbolt 3 Mini Dock - Apple (DE)
Would this Dock allow connecting two displays with unique desktops each?

yes, that Caldigit is a genuine ThunderBolt Dock.

The first Dock you referenced is a StarTech USB-C Dock. Their ad on US Amazon states: "MacBook compatibility limited to single monitor".

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 7, 2023 11:00 AM in response to Peter Robins

Peter Robins wrote:

CalDigit Thunderbolt 3 Mini Dock - Apple (DE)
Would this Dock allow connecting two displays with unique desktops each?

yes, that Caldigit is a genuine ThunderBolt Dock.

The first Dock you referenced is a StarTech USB-C Dock. Their ad on US Amazon states: "MacBook compatibility limited to single monitor".

Jun 7, 2023 11:01 AM in response to Peter Robins

<< What does it mean "first device" ? >>

Put your hand on the genuine ThunderBolt (not just USB-C) cable out of the Mac. The first device is the next physical thing down the cable away from the Mac.

• it can be a genuine ThunderBolt DOCK

• it can be a genuine Thunderbolt DISPLAY, some of which have additional ports and can support a secondary display.

Any limitation for display connection on macbook pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.