You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to use Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter after os 16.5 update

I updated my OS to 16.5 on my ipad and am no longer able to use my Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter. It indicates that more power is needed to handle a flash drive. I have come across elsewher, mention that this is a real problem. I'm hoping someone knows about it and hopefully as well that there is a fix for this problem. Thanks.

iPad Air, iOS 12

Posted on Jun 7, 2023 11:39 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2023 9:07 AM

Stuff happens - and, occasionally, a system software update will cause an unanticipated issue.

Apple are reportedly aware of the issue. As for when the bug fix will be released, this is known only within Apple. As contributors here are all end-users, just like you, we are as much in the dark as yourself.

As for your iPad model, you’ve not yet shared this information. Neither have you provided information as to your Power Adapter…

USB Type-A connectors are the larger (rectangular) connections that are usually found on older computers. USB-C is the new USB connector that all modern computers and peripherals are now using.

Perhaps these pictures of charging cables will help with understanding the difference between the two types of USB connector…

USB Type-A to Lightning

USB-C to Lightning

The described workaround, that works for the majority (if not all), is to use an Apple Power Adapter that has a USB-C connector - and a matching charging cable (illustrated). Third-party USB-C Power Adapters will also work as long as they explicitly support USB PD (Power Delivery).

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 8, 2023 9:07 AM in response to ateeeate

Stuff happens - and, occasionally, a system software update will cause an unanticipated issue.

Apple are reportedly aware of the issue. As for when the bug fix will be released, this is known only within Apple. As contributors here are all end-users, just like you, we are as much in the dark as yourself.

As for your iPad model, you’ve not yet shared this information. Neither have you provided information as to your Power Adapter…

USB Type-A connectors are the larger (rectangular) connections that are usually found on older computers. USB-C is the new USB connector that all modern computers and peripherals are now using.

Perhaps these pictures of charging cables will help with understanding the difference between the two types of USB connector…

USB Type-A to Lightning

USB-C to Lightning

The described workaround, that works for the majority (if not all), is to use an Apple Power Adapter that has a USB-C connector - and a matching charging cable (illustrated). Third-party USB-C Power Adapters will also work as long as they explicitly support USB PD (Power Delivery).

Jun 8, 2023 8:34 AM in response to LotusPilot

I'm not sure about the type A power adapter (what it is and how it differs). my ipad came with a charger that i use and it always works as a charger. but when i plug in the Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter to the ipad (and my charger via cable provided) no power goes to the ipad and consequently no power to operate a device connected to the usb either.

if the workaround is to buy something new, are there any assurances that a bug will not be fixed next month making the purchase of a new charger unnecessary and or might i find out down the road that i have to buy yet another part/parts when what i use also stops working due to software updates???

I'm finding it very frustrating that my work is being disrupted as a result with lots of uncertainty attached to the "fix".

Jun 8, 2023 2:21 PM in response to LotusPilot

hi, thanks. a little jog to my memory and now i remember and can see that I have the type C charger and and USB-C to lightning cable. The charger and cable came with my ipad. I thought my equipment would be automatically indicated when i posted. Here is the info. My device is an iPad (eighth generation) running on OS 16.5. So it appears that in my case the type C is not helping. There is no power to the connected devices when I use the Camera Adapter. It is all Apple equipment. and the charger is 20W. so this seems to be contrary to what is being said here.

thanks

Unable to use Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter after os 16.5 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.