You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I start my screensaver when I lock my computer?

I have been able to lock my screen using Control+Command+Q. The thing that happens when I do is that my 2 external displays go to sleep and it takes time for them to start up.

Can I start my screensaver when I lock my screen or start my screensaver using a shortcut (and set my computer to lock when the screensaver is on?

I prefer using the keyboard so while hot corners might work, I'd much rather use my keyboard to lock and turn on the screensaver if it is possible.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Jun 10, 2023 2:18 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2023 10:16 AM

It seems to me that all you need to do is to activate the screen saver, provided that you make this change in System Settings:

Set "Require password after screen saver begins..." to "Immediately".

Now to do this with just a keyboard shortcut, all that it takes is to create a Quick Action with Automator or with Shortcuts and assign it the desired keyboard shortcut.

Then you press a key, the screensaver starts, and you need to enter the password or touch id to get out of it.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 11, 2023 10:16 AM in response to steveninouye

It seems to me that all you need to do is to activate the screen saver, provided that you make this change in System Settings:

Set "Require password after screen saver begins..." to "Immediately".

Now to do this with just a keyboard shortcut, all that it takes is to create a Quick Action with Automator or with Shortcuts and assign it the desired keyboard shortcut.

Then you press a key, the screensaver starts, and you need to enter the password or touch id to get out of it.

Jun 11, 2023 8:16 AM in response to steveninouye

steveninouye wrote:

I have been able to lock my screen using Control+Command+Q. The thing that happens when I do is that my 2 external displays go to sleep and it takes time for them to start up.

Can I start my screensaver when I lock my screen or start my screensaver using a shortcut (and set my computer to lock when the screensaver is on?

I prefer using the keyboard so while hot corners might work, I'd much rather use my keyboard to lock and turn on the screensaver if it is possible.

Lock Screen (Control Command Q) is different then sleep and screen saver.

You can make some changes in >System Settings>Lock Screen

you can submit any Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

Can I start my screensaver when I lock my computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.