You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot send SMS to Android Phone after Update to iOS 16.5

I've recently updated my iPhone to iOS 16.5 and have now found that I cannot send an SMS text message to a couple of Samsung mobile phones, one of which I was able to text previously.

It's not an issue with my network provider, as I've been able to do this in the past.

I've restarted my phone, turned iMessages off and on but still no joy.

(I'm based in the UK)

Many thanks,

Kaz

iPhone XR

Posted on Jun 11, 2023 1:56 AM

6 replies

Jun 13, 2023 9:17 AM in response to Turbogirlie

Greetings Turbogirlie,

It sounds like you are having issues sending SMS messages. We know how important this is for you, and you’re in the right place to find a resolution.

If you see a red exclamation point
If you try to send a message and you see  Exclamation mark icon with an alert that says Not Delivered, follow these steps:
1. Check your network connection.
2. Tap  Exclamation mark icon, then tap Try Again.
3. If you still can’t send the message, tap  Exclamation mark icon, then tap Send as Text Message. Messaging rates may apply. Contact your carrier for more information.
Learn what to do if you still receive a Not Delivered alert after you try to send your message as a text message.
You can set up Messages so that it automatically tries to send messages as an SMS when iMessage isn't available. Go to Settings > Messages, and turn on Send as SMS.
An iPhone showing a message that wasn't delivered in Messages 

This info is located in this support article: If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Cheers!

Jun 14, 2023 2:14 PM in response to Turbogirlie

Hi Turbogirlie,

Since you've already been through If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support and are still having issues, the next step is to contact your carrier, even though you were able to send SMS messages in the past. This is because SMS is controlled by the carrier rather than Apple.

If your carrier is unable to resolve the issue, please contact us here: Get Support

Cheers!

Jun 14, 2023 1:57 PM in response to Mike_P1

Thanks Mike_P1.

I have tried all of the above - I had enough signal to send a SMS to a friend's iPhone (as SMS not iMessage) but cannot get my phone to send SMS to people with Android phones, one of which I could send SMS messages before the update.

I have turned my phone off and on - is there anything else I'm missing? It's a basic text SMS I am trying to send, not MMS.

Many thanks.

Cannot send SMS to Android Phone after Update to iOS 16.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.