You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't find /Applications/Install from my MacBook Air 2014 for Big Sur version 11.7.7, why?

While creating bootable USB drive for Big Sur from my MacBook Air 2014, I received this error: "sudo: /Applications/Install macOS Ventura.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia: command not found

I checked my /Applications folder, there is no "Install" file, and I can't find "Install" program anywhere.

Any help is appreciated.

Posted on Jun 11, 2023 9:58 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2023 7:22 PM

jingrong176 wrote:

Thanks for detailed explanation.

I really have been trying to convey that I don't have "Install macOS Big Sur" app in my Applications folder. I don't have any app start with "Inst" in my application folder

Download the installer from the App Store, and not the combo patch kit that you have.

You need the installer (green) from the app store (yellow), and not the combo patch kit.

Above image extracted from the directions for creating the bootable installer:

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Here are the app store links for downloading the macOS installers:

How to download macOS - Apple Support

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 14, 2023 7:22 PM in response to jingrong176

jingrong176 wrote:

Thanks for detailed explanation.

I really have been trying to convey that I don't have "Install macOS Big Sur" app in my Applications folder. I don't have any app start with "Inst" in my application folder

Download the installer from the App Store, and not the combo patch kit that you have.

You need the installer (green) from the app store (yellow), and not the combo patch kit.

Above image extracted from the directions for creating the bootable installer:

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Here are the app store links for downloading the macOS installers:

How to download macOS - Apple Support

Jun 12, 2023 3:53 AM in response to jingrong176

jingrong176 wrote:

While creating bootable USB drive for Big Sur from my MacBook Air 2014, I received this error: "sudo: /Applications/Install macOS Ventura.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia: command not found

I checked my /Applications folder, there is no "Install" file, and I can't find "Install" program anywhere.

Any help is appreciated.

The user is using the incorrect Terminal Command to create a Bootable Installer of Big Sur macOS 11

The command in your above is to create a Bootable Installer of Ventura macOS 13

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

Jun 12, 2023 2:09 PM in response to jingrong176

The correct Terminal Command will Create a Bootable Installer on the Destination Drive ( External Drive )

There is no Install required to make the External Drive Bootable

When you attach that drive to the computer and choose OPTION Key at Startup - choose the Bootael Installer Drive to boot from.

It should had and present the ability to Install the version of macOS that is contained on that drive

Jun 13, 2023 4:28 AM in response to jingrong176

I have used this command, several times and successfully, to create Bootable Installer for Big Sur using a Quality Computer to Run Big Sur

Suggest you Copy and Paste the below command in TextEdit.

Then Paste it into the Terminal Command

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/usbdrive

Above is all predicated on the FULL Version of Big Sur is located in the Applications Folder of this computer

The full version should be about 12.xx GB in Size

If per chance, the " Install Big Sur " is anything less than 12.xx GB - dump it and empty Trash

Re-Download the Full Version

Jun 14, 2023 10:22 AM in response to jingrong176

jingrong176 wrote:

SHould have mad my problem more clear, for what I ran on Terminal command:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/usbdrive

the "Install" does not exist, so command can't run.

Correct, because you are not understanding the importance of the backslash escape sequence to process spaces in a file/folder name. The "\ " part between several of the workds means to insert a space in the name (which happens to be a folder name here). So with all the escape sequences taken into account, you are looking at a folder name (or also in this case an application bundle name) of "Install macOS Big Sur.app".

When working on the command line spaces in a path cause problems so they need to be "coded" into the name so the Finder will show:

Install macOS Big Sur.app

But on the command line this is required:

Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app

Technically there is another way, but that may just cause more confusion since this is just an explanation for what you are seeing.

FYI, when asking for any assistance involving the Terminal app & command line, then you must post the exact command used and any error messages because the command line is very unforgiving. Every little thing matters regarding spaces and the case of a character, etc.

Do you have the "Install macOS Big Sur" app in the Applications folder? Check in the Finder to be sure, because that app must first exist before you can run any Terminal commands which require or reference it.

I can't find /Applications/Install from my MacBook Air 2014 for Big Sur version 11.7.7, why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.