You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I trade in my 8-year-old MacBook Air?

I haven't used my MacBook Air in about 8 years, which was when I began using my work PC as my personal computer. I am now interested in trading in my MacBook Air for a new one. Does the old one need to be in working condition?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jun 15, 2023 9:57 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2023 11:22 PM

I don't know how much – if anything – Apple will give you for it. Apple's trade-in site wants a valid serial number before it will ask you questions about the laptop's condition, or give you an estimated trade-in value.

If it's 8+ years old, and isn't working, Apple might only offer to recycle it for free…

Apple Trade In - Apple

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 15, 2023 11:22 PM in response to Benji029

I don't know how much – if anything – Apple will give you for it. Apple's trade-in site wants a valid serial number before it will ask you questions about the laptop's condition, or give you an estimated trade-in value.

If it's 8+ years old, and isn't working, Apple might only offer to recycle it for free…

Apple Trade In - Apple

Jun 16, 2023 11:16 AM in response to babowa

To everyone who replied to my post, I thank you very much. 🙏🏽 I got several years of very productive use out of my MacBook and, hopefully, if it works well with a new battery, I will keep it as a backup. My personal computer needs (and my personal finances) don't warrant me spending lots of money on a new computer, nor getting a more powerful computer with features that I probably wouldn't use often.

Jun 16, 2023 12:30 PM in response to Benji029

If you want to keep it, that's great but you need to tell us the exact model/year so we can help further. That is important because newer models have the battery integrated into the logic board (all one unit) and/or the replacement has to be done by an authorized service provider because it is difficult in models from around 2017.

Can I trade in my 8-year-old MacBook Air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.