You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail will not connect to gmail

MacOS Ventura 13.4 - Using Apple Mail - I have several personal Gmail accounts that work fine. My employer provided email will not "go on line" in Apple Mail. I've uninstalled, rebooted and reinstalled and still will not connect. The installation process validates via Chrome without error. the account is valid and can access via webmail. Working fine on other devices as well. This seems to be a very specific Apple Mail issue. I cannot be the only user to encounter this. Yes...I've read the generic KB articles on connecting to other email clients. Our system admin is useless and will not help with any Mac issues. 

Posted on Jun 16, 2023 5:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2024 3:56 PM

I had the same problem this week. After 3 days of trying to figure it out I found this link and it worked.

Can't connect Gmail to Macmail (Sonoma 14… - Apple Community

12 replies

Oct 19, 2023 10:23 AM in response to MBER

After my iphone 14 pro's back shattered, and the Apple store gutted my phone, I have been unable to re-setup Apple Mail to Google. I've:

Reset the phone

Reset Network settings

Deleted all accounts in the Mail app

Deleted and reinstalled the Mail app

Made sure I'm connected to the internet

Software version is up to date

When adding the google account, it goes through the login process, I click "yes it's me" in Gmail, then it kicks back to the Mail settings for google but sits on the loading screen with the google wheel just spinning forever, and never finishes setting up google in Mail. Meanwhile, Gmail on desktop shows all the verification notifications as if it should have gone through. Outlook accounts appear to have reconnected just fine.

Apr 17, 2024 10:33 AM in response to MBER

I'm having the same issue and I've tried all of these fixes, but none of them work. I'm on 14.4.1, but I also had the issue just before I upgraded. The issue started last week. I have about 10 gmail addresses and most of which use company branding so I'm not sending from @gmail.com, I'm sending from my company address. All of them work except my main email account. For that one, I can receive, but I can't send. The messages just sit in the Outbox. I've tried all of the Safari and System Settings listed below and none of them allow me to send messages from my one gmail account. Again, all of the other accounts work just fine.

Help?

Jun 16, 2023 5:56 AM in response to MBER

This might be a settings issue. Ensure that you're using the right IMAP settings for Gmail on your Apple Mail (Incoming: imap.gmail.com, Outgoing: smtp.gmail.com). Also, under "Mail -> Preferences -> Accounts", check that "Automatically manage connection settings" is unchecked and input the correct IMAP settings manually.

Another potential issue could be Google's 'Less Secure App Access'. It might be blocking Apple Mail. You can toggle it off in your Google Account settings. Remember, this can potentially expose your account to certain risks.

Lastly, you might want to update MacOS to the latest version or try using a different user account on your Mac to see if the issue persists.

Aug 23, 2023 8:28 AM in response to MBER

I'm not even trying to connect to my Gmail account from my Mac; my Mac Mail won't even SEND email to @gmail.com addresses.

I discovered this change in behavior about a month ago. After some research, it turned out that Google has implemented some nw security protocol for incoming mail connections. I had a very old Mac (2009) that couldn't update past High Sierra, so I specifically bought a shiny new Mini to solve this problem. The problem isn't solved. I can send a single email to address1@gmail.com, address2@gmail.com, and address3@utexas.edu (that last is handled through Gmail). The first two never arrive; the third arrives at my utexas.edu account just fine.

I'm running Ventura 13.5.1, Mail Version 16.0 (3731.700.6).

Aug 23, 2023 9:09 AM in response to MBER

"As far as I can see Ventura doesn't allow manual IMAP server settings; just the smtp.

To manually set server settings in Mail, open Mail --> Settings --> Accounts. Select an account in the left panel then select the "Server Settings" tab along the top of the right panel. "Automatically manage server settings" checkbox must be unchecked. Set up port and other settings as needed.

Apple Mail will not connect to gmail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.