You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't reformate my external hard drive

I have a Toshiba external hard drive 2tb, I just got my first MacBook air. I plugged it in and followed the instructions without knowing what I was doing. My macbook formatted my external hard drive to a time machine drive. I found out how to take it off the time machine list, but I don't know how to make my EHD writable again. I want to use it like a normal EHD. Can someone please help me? My macbook is brand new this yr 2023 model. All I want is to drop files into it like a thumb drive. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks

MacBook Air (M2, 2022)

Posted on Jun 16, 2023 7:35 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2023 8:07 PM

Since you removed the drive from Time Machine, you can select it from Disk Utility in the Utilities folder, select the drive and click "Erase".

Similar questions

4 replies

Can't reformate my external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.