You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages synced between iPhone and iPad do not delete on iPad when deleted on iPhone

This has been an issue for some time across successive iPhones and iOS/iPadOS.

Messages received on my iPhone sync perfectly with my iPad. However, delete a Message on my iPhone and that message is not deleted on my iPad.

This is incredibly frustrating.

I use my iPhone for Messages most of the time. Occasionally, I will view Messages on my iPad. When I do, all the Messages that I have deleted on my iPhone (and there can be 10s and 10s) remain on my iPad. I must manually delete these messages to align iPad with iPhone.

The cycle continues. If I now use Messages on my iPhone for (say) 1-week, then view Messages on my iPad, all the Messages that I have deleted on iPhone during that 1-week remain on iPad. Once again, I must manually delete these to align iPad with iPhone.

iPhone 14 Pro Max 2023 iOS 16.5 (but also on iPhone 12, 13)

iPad Pro 2019 iPadOS 16.5

Does anyone know why and/or how to resolve?

And before anyone suggests the obvious:

• Yes, iOS/iPadOS is latest (always has been)
  • Yes, both devices are signed in to same iCloud account
  • Yes, iPhone Text Message Forwarding is set to iPad
  • Yes, both devices have been re-started
  • Yes, the whole process of syncing Messages from iPhone to iPad has been re-started from scratch
  • Yes, Messages are always sent from iPhone to iPad
  • No, Messages deleted on iPhone are never deleted on iPad

iPad 2, iOS 9

Posted on Jun 17, 2023 11:04 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2023 2:06 AM

If you have an iPhone - and both iPad and iPhone are signed-in to iCloud with the same AppleID - to send SMS/MMS messages (green bubbles) from your iPad you must explicitly enable Text Message Forwarding for your iPad on your iPhone...

On your iPhone:

Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding - set to ON - and explicitly enable your iPad from the list of devices.

For message synchronisation to work as anticipated, ensure that Messages in iCloud is enabled on both your iPhone and iPad:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > Messages - set to ON

12 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 18, 2023 2:06 AM in response to williamfrombinfield

If you have an iPhone - and both iPad and iPhone are signed-in to iCloud with the same AppleID - to send SMS/MMS messages (green bubbles) from your iPad you must explicitly enable Text Message Forwarding for your iPad on your iPhone...

On your iPhone:

Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding - set to ON - and explicitly enable your iPad from the list of devices.

For message synchronisation to work as anticipated, ensure that Messages in iCloud is enabled on both your iPhone and iPad:

Apr 26, 2024 12:46 PM in response to williamfrombinfield

The one and only way to have messages deleted on all your Apple devices when you delete them on one device is to use iCloud for Messages. That is described here.

Keep your messages up to date with iCloud - Apple Support

This will cause your messages to be housed in iCloud and therefore appear the same and have the same status on all your Apple devices.

Note my response differs from LotusPilot’s explanation, as the setting required is:

Settings > [your Apple ID] > iCloud > Messages in iCloud = “on”

Jul 7, 2023 1:52 AM in response to LotusPilot

Many thanks for your message. much appreciated....

Although, not quite sure where sending SMS/MMS from iPad came from - not quite what I was asking.

Regarding synchronisation across iPhone/iPad/MacBook ... IT DOES NOT WORK.

All my 3 devices are signed into the exact same iCloud account (I have ONLY one).

All my 3 devices list all 3 devices in Message/Settings/Send & Receive.

All my 3 devices: are set to sync/backup to the exact same iCloud.

All 3 devices are running the latest software (although that is always a red herring).

All 3 devices have been completely switched off and on.

The whole process of syncing Messages has been completely restarted from scratch - indeed, ALL Messages were deleted !!

And yet ... Messages DO NOT sync across all 3 devices.

Recently:

1. I painstakingly went through ALL Messages on ALL 3 devices saving the Messages I wanted to keep outside of messages, then deleted ALL messages on ALL 3 devices.
  2. It stayed this way for perhaps a day.
  3. Then, the first new SMS arrived, which did sync across all 3 devices.
  4. This remained the case for the next, perhaps half dozen, SMS and iMessage.
  5. Any message I deleted on iPhone was also deleted on iPad and MacBook and vice versa.

HOWEVER......

• Today, for NO REASON whatsoever, my iPad now lists ALL the Messages I deleted in 1 above, and my MacBook lists some of those Messages but not all, whereas my iPhone lists none of these messages and ONLY the correct current ones.

How can this be? How can previously deleted Messages - with several successfully completed Backups/Syncs since deletion - suddenly, for no apparent reason whatsoever, suddenly reappear, and more so, reappear on ONLY 2 devices NOT 3, and then, not even the reappeared Messages are consistent across the 2 devices?

The whole Message sync functionality DOES NOT WORK.

And, frankly, I expected better - much better - from Apple.

Jul 7, 2023 2:33 AM in response to williamfrombinfield

Information about SMS/MMS was included so as to provide a full answer. Most queries of this nature are almost always connected to this functionality; many users do not understand the differences between Apple’s iMessage service and Cellular messaging.

Returning to your issue - to reiterate, for message synchronisation to work as anticipated, ensure that Messages in iCloud is enabled on all your devices. For iPhone iPad:

If settings are as described and the problem persists, return to the setting on each device - and disable the setting. Next, perform a forced-restart of all devices. Only after restarting all devices, again enable Messages in iCloud to ON.

Apr 26, 2024 3:03 PM in response to sberman

Thanks for you message sberman.

Unfortunately, perhaps I wasn't explicit.

I did say both devices are signed in to the same iCloud account. By this, I thought it implied/confirmed that on both devices Messages (and everything else) is "ON" for iCloud, both devices are backed up to iCloud everyday.

So, to confirm - Settings > [your Apple ID] > iCloud > Messages in iCloud = “on” is set to "on" on both devices.

Apr 26, 2024 3:28 PM in response to williamfrombinfield

williamfrombinfield wrote:

I did say both devices are signed in to the same iCloud account. By this, I thought it implied/confirmed that on both devices Messages (and everything else) is "ON" for iCloud

It did not confirm you’re using Messages in iCloud. I, for one, use iCloud to house Contacts and Calendars among other things but do not want my messages there.

You’ve now assured us you use Messages in iCloud. I understand.

Apr 26, 2024 3:49 PM in response to williamfrombinfield

You need to make sure that you have Messages in iCloud turned on for both your iPhone and your iPad. If you don't have it turned on, then your phone can forward the messages to your iPad, however, that's all it is going to do is forward them. It will let you reply and you'll see the reply on your phone, but you are going to see the exact situation that you are describing. You'll get them forwarded and you'll be able to reply, but if you delete them off your phone, they will not delete off your iPad.

If you have Messages in iCloud turned on for both devices, then when you make a change on one device, it will make the same changes on your other devices. This is what is trying to be described to you in the other posts.

Goto Settings > AppleID (clicking the account name at the top) > iCloud > (under apps using iCloud click show all) then go to Messages in iCloud. Make the changes there that you wish to make and get those devices turned on that you want to use it.

This should solve the issue that you are describing. I don't wish to have my Messages synced this way, but this should fix the exact problem that you are describing and is the fix indicated by the others as well.

Apr 26, 2024 4:32 PM in response to ZintainUSA

Thanks.

Messages in iCloud IS TURNED ON, on both devices.

I appreciate all the help from the Community. However, I am not stupid. I am quite capable of setting up/configuring my devices correctly.

Both devices are configured correctly - both signed in to the same iCloud account; both configured iCloud>Messages in iCloud set to "ON"; both devices iOS latest and up to date; both devices back up to iCloud; iCloud storage at 50%; both devices restarted and forced restarted; issue on both devices across multiple iOS versions: etc.

This is NOT a settings issue.

Apr 26, 2024 5:32 PM in response to williamfrombinfield

williamfrombinfield wrote:

However, I am not stupid. I am quite capable of setting up/configuring my devices correctly.

Stupidity is not even being suggested by anyone. I (a former Mensa member) do occasionally overlook things.

The behavior you have described would occur if Messages for iCloud were not turned “on” on your iPad. Your original post did not even mention Messages for iCloud. You subsequently confirmed it is set correctly.

Messages synced between iPhone and iPad do not delete on iPad when deleted on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.