You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos: Shared Album and Metadata

léonie, in an earlier posting, states that metadata isn't included with photos when posted to a shared Photos album. Where in Apple's documentation for the applications does it state this? And why on earth would the application not allow users to choose whether or not to include metadata? It's our friggin' data not theirs.

Posted on Jun 23, 2023 10:25 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Jun 23, 2023 11:09 AM in response to PaulWith

Where in Apple's documentation for the applications does it state this?

I'm not sure it is stated anywhere - a lot of things are left unsaid.

And why on earth would the application not allow users to choose whether or not to include metadata?

You'll find, as a rule of thumb, that if your query asks why, then only Apple can answer that, and they're not here. Feature requests go here:

Feedback - Photos - Apple

Jul 31, 2023 12:02 PM in response to PaulWith

If you view your Shared Album photos an Apple device, there is no way to get to to the metadata.

However, the metadata are still there. I learned this after I installed the "iCloud Shared Albums" app on my Windows computer.

When you do that the app will generate a directory for the shared photos and (after a few minutes) your shared photos will be downloaded there. Just open a photo with the regular photo viewer (I use Photos in Windows 11) and click on the circled "i" on the top line. The data will pop up.

I am not sure if this is relevant, but read on if you do not see the data. When you create the shared album, there is no way to select if you want to keep the metadata. In my case, before I started creating my shared albums, I first shared a single photo. (Just click on the "up arrow in the square box" when you view the photo. ) In that case you will have an opportunity to specify what do you wan to keep. Perhaps those settings are transferred to shared albums, but I am not sure.

Good luck.

Photos: Shared Album and Metadata

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.