You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t “Allow calls on other devices” despite all settings looking right

I have set up "allow calls on other devices" on my mother's new iPhone. On the new iPhone I have allowed calls to go to her MacBook and her Old iPhone.

On the MacBook, calls come through no problem.

On the Old iPhone, calls never ring through. If I try to make a call from that phone, I get "Call Failed" and a big X. This phone was just updated to iOS 15.7.7 to try solving this. It's logged in to iCloud, Facetime is active.

Facetime calls come through to the Old iPhone, but not cell phone calls.

The old iPhone is a 6s Plus. The new phone is a 13 Pro.

iPhone 6s, iOS 15

Posted on Jun 23, 2023 6:32 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2023 10:15 PM

So I spent about half an hour on the phone with Apple support who screen shared and tried to solve this issue.

As I suspected, but didn't want to say in case I gave them an out (haha), this feature doesn't seem to work from iPhone to iPhone.

I was trying to get my mother's old iPhone to ring through with phone calls to the new iPhone, in case she wasn't near her phone and couldn't hear it. Or if she couldn't find her phone, use the old one to make calls. Just a backup when she's in a different part of the house.

But alas, apparently this only works to iPod touches or Macs. For some reason an iPhone without a SIM is not able to do this function.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 29, 2023 10:15 PM in response to flick harrison

So I spent about half an hour on the phone with Apple support who screen shared and tried to solve this issue.

As I suspected, but didn't want to say in case I gave them an out (haha), this feature doesn't seem to work from iPhone to iPhone.

I was trying to get my mother's old iPhone to ring through with phone calls to the new iPhone, in case she wasn't near her phone and couldn't hear it. Or if she couldn't find her phone, use the old one to make calls. Just a backup when she's in a different part of the house.

But alas, apparently this only works to iPod touches or Macs. For some reason an iPhone without a SIM is not able to do this function.

Jun 24, 2023 1:13 AM in response to flick harrison

flick harrison wrote:

I get "Call Failed" and a big X.

To improve understanding of the phenomenon, it would be highly beneficial if you could share a screenshot. Visual representations carry greater impact than written descriptions.

Please remember that this is a public forum, so when attaching a screenshot, please avoid including any personal credentials such as IP addresses, card details, email IDs, Apple IDs, IMEI numbers, serial numbers, phone numbers, order IDs, or any identifiable location information if you are sharing a map.

With the limited information that you have provided, It is hard to even guess the problems faced by you. 

You may get faster and better responses to your query by --> Writing an effective Apple Support Commun… - Apple ...

Please re-post with detail so that someone else can help.

May 29, 2024 1:15 PM in response to flick harrison

I have the same issue. I've spent hours on the phone is apple support. With tech support. Then with Verizon support. Verizon tech support. How is it possible that so many people are having this issue but nobody can solve it. In the meantime, I'm spending over $200 per month to have the glory of owning a phone that has failed calls and doesn't let others call me. I'm so annoyed! What would a screen shot of "failed call" help???? It says "failed call"...that's all that you need to know dude.

Can’t “Allow calls on other devices” despite all settings looking right

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.