You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why did my Face ID stop working all of a sudden?

My phone stop showing the Face ID option out of no where. And now I cannot use it for anything.

iPhone XR, iOS 16

Posted on Jun 27, 2023 9:19 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2023 9:20 AM

Hello,

Apple has several documents helping you with Face ID.

This document is specific to seeing a 'disabled' Face ID alert, and explains what to do when you see that notice. --> If an alert says Face ID has been disabled on your iPhone or iPad Pro - Apple Support

If you don't see a 'disabled' message but do have general issues with Face ID not working properly, explore the list of things to try in this document: If Face ID isn't working on your iPhone or iPad Pro - Apple Support

If the first 8 don't solve the issue then use #9, contact Apple.

If an app or feature on your device is not working, not appearing*, or is restricted (grayed out), it may have been disabled using Screen Time, or by an IT administrator if you are using a device owned by an employer or educational institution.

- Read this document about using Screen Time on an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch --> Use Screen Time on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Tap Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy > scroll to Allow Changes.

- If the device is managed (Settings > General > VPN & Device Management), contact the IT department that is doing the managing.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 27, 2023 9:20 AM in response to bíg

Hello,

Apple has several documents helping you with Face ID.

This document is specific to seeing a 'disabled' Face ID alert, and explains what to do when you see that notice. --> If an alert says Face ID has been disabled on your iPhone or iPad Pro - Apple Support

If you don't see a 'disabled' message but do have general issues with Face ID not working properly, explore the list of things to try in this document: If Face ID isn't working on your iPhone or iPad Pro - Apple Support

If the first 8 don't solve the issue then use #9, contact Apple.

If an app or feature on your device is not working, not appearing*, or is restricted (grayed out), it may have been disabled using Screen Time, or by an IT administrator if you are using a device owned by an employer or educational institution.

- Read this document about using Screen Time on an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch --> Use Screen Time on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Tap Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy > scroll to Allow Changes.

- If the device is managed (Settings > General > VPN & Device Management), contact the IT department that is doing the managing.

Why did my Face ID stop working all of a sudden?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.