You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

moving tracks to the top of long playlists...quickly.

I have several 'running' playlists where I add newly acquired songs that I like. When I add songs to these ( or any ) playlists, I'd like Apple Music default behaviour to be to add them to the top of the list so that when I next start the list, I hear the most recently added songs first. Is there a way to accomplish this? I'm really tired of having to drag the song to a playlist, and then drag them again from the bottom all the way to the top , past the several hundred songs that already in the playlist.

Or, if that is outside the realms of knowledge of the biggest tech company in the World, maybe a shortcut to moving tracks to the top quickly?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Jun 28, 2023 11:26 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 25, 2024 6:49 AM

I found a solution that works for this. I was just trying to do the same thing with a playlist of over 500 songs. Do this:

1) Select the songs added to the bottom of the playlist that you want to move to the top of a long playlist.

2) Now, while they are still selected, scroll all the way up to the top (not dragging the songs)

3) Hold down Command and select a song near the top of the playlist.

4) Now drag the song at the top you just selected and move it to the top. Because it's selected WITH the other songs at the bottom, they will all be place together.

5) After the songs from the bottom are at the top, you can then select the other song near the top you moved to the top back to its original place.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 25, 2024 6:49 AM in response to bertybobcat

I found a solution that works for this. I was just trying to do the same thing with a playlist of over 500 songs. Do this:

1) Select the songs added to the bottom of the playlist that you want to move to the top of a long playlist.

2) Now, while they are still selected, scroll all the way up to the top (not dragging the songs)

3) Hold down Command and select a song near the top of the playlist.

4) Now drag the song at the top you just selected and move it to the top. Because it's selected WITH the other songs at the bottom, they will all be place together.

5) After the songs from the bottom are at the top, you can then select the other song near the top you moved to the top back to its original place.

Jun 30, 2023 3:53 AM in response to bertybobcat

bertybobcat wrote:

Or, if that is outside the realms of knowledge of the biggest tech company in the World, maybe a shortcut to moving tracks to the top quickly?

I believe that the biggest tech company in the world can manage that.

I assume that you're looking at the Playlist using Songs view. (View/View As/Songs)

Click the top of the number column to reverse the order of the playlist:

moving tracks to the top of long playlists...quickly.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.