You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to make the selected cell more obvious?

Hi,

I find the selection outline Numbers uses to be of too low contrast so it's hard to find the selected cell sometimes. I can't find a way to increase the boldness (either color or cell outline width) to make the selection more obvious. Is there a way?

-Eric

Posted on Jun 29, 2023 8:48 PM

5 replies

Jun 29, 2023 10:53 PM in response to Eric Goodill1

As the cell you are attempting to find is 'selected,' that cell will be open to formatting/highlighting actions.

Here are two examples of cell format items you can place temporarily to make a cell easier to spot.

Cell E6 was the first to be highlighted. With the cell selected, I clicked the Format brush, then selected the Fill menu and chose to fill with the colour shown. Leave the colour in place while you need it to help find the cell; when there's no continuing need, remove the formatting.

For the second demonstration, on cell C3, I looked to the Border section of the highlighting panel, and chose a three point (thick) solid line coloured red.

When you no longer have a need to quickly find the highlighted cell(s), revisit them and remove the highlightinhg you had placed on these cells.

Regards,

Barry

Jul 1, 2023 1:02 AM in response to Eric Goodill1

Hi Eric,

" …what I was asking about is how to make the highlighting around the currently selected cell, which is B10 in your example, more bold so it's easier to see."

I was aware of that. B10 shows the automatic highlighting of the selected cell(s) that is built in to Numbers. That highlighting produces a thin blue border on the selected cell, but does not change the weight of the text in that cell.

Cells C3 and E6 show two types of highlighting that are not available via automatic processes, but can be applied manually to selected cell(s) by the user. The first is a heavier cell border, more visible than the one applied automatically by the application; then second, in cell E6 is a background fill in a brighter colour, also applied manually.

Either of these highlights can be applied with small effort on the part of the user, and can be removed by equally simple actions. Their disadvantage, of course, is that they require user actions beyond simply selecting the cell to apply the highlighting and to remove the highlighting when it is no longer needed.

Regards,

Barry

How to make the selected cell more obvious?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.