You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SKY News App Crashes

SKY News App not working properly, when i click live tv it plays for a second then switches to a bluebird care advert but i can hear sky news in the background, once the bluebird add ends it crashes back to main SKY News app screen

Ive tried the following to solve with no success

Posted on Jun 30, 2023 1:46 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2023 2:32 PM

I just received another reply from Sky tech support (if you can call it that) informing me that Sky streams and broadcasts are not available outside the UK (!!). This is what happens when customer support is offshored.

Had to start from the beginning and describe the presence of Sky News in App Store(s) and Google Play; that Sky News streams perfectly in iOS and iPadOS, and from their web site, and in YouTube and 'peacock'. I sent screen grabs showing the apps in the various Apple app stores. Painful!!

If they want to degrade the tvOS app, I wish they'd just pull it - it hasn't been updated in some time.

For what it's worth, I have Xfinity for internet and I can stream Sky News for free through the "peacock" app on Apple TV. The quality is way better than casting from by iPhone or iPad - the Sky News apps on those platforms don't support AirPlay !

I'll report back when/if I get the next replay from Sky.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 5, 2023 2:32 PM in response to AlanH220

I just received another reply from Sky tech support (if you can call it that) informing me that Sky streams and broadcasts are not available outside the UK (!!). This is what happens when customer support is offshored.

Had to start from the beginning and describe the presence of Sky News in App Store(s) and Google Play; that Sky News streams perfectly in iOS and iPadOS, and from their web site, and in YouTube and 'peacock'. I sent screen grabs showing the apps in the various Apple app stores. Painful!!

If they want to degrade the tvOS app, I wish they'd just pull it - it hasn't been updated in some time.

For what it's worth, I have Xfinity for internet and I can stream Sky News for free through the "peacock" app on Apple TV. The quality is way better than casting from by iPhone or iPad - the Sky News apps on those platforms don't support AirPlay !

I'll report back when/if I get the next replay from Sky.

Jul 6, 2023 8:20 AM in response to AlanH220

Just got the latest reply from Sky "customer support" - they simply recommended the diagnostic steps in their web site (i.e. delete the app, restart the iPhone, reinstall the app, and OF COURSE that is all one should need to do) and if that fails - which it does -

"Alternatively, I request you to contact our Customer Service Team on (0344) 241 4141, where one of our advisors will be happy to help you."

I don't think it's worth my time, but if anyone with a Skype credit or who resides in the UK wants to give it a try -

"I hope this information has helped with your enquiry."

Jul 4, 2023 6:38 AM in response to sparkdawson

I managed to send an app support request to Sky (thanks for the links, @Rudegar!) and mentioned that I was running the Sky News ATV app 3.1.1 and tvOS 16.5

The reply said, "We're sorry you are having trouble with the app - but you must upgrade the Sky News app to version 1.0.0 and tvOS to 9.0"

I replied with a strongly worded rebuttal - as if that will help.

Incidentally, I tried running the ATV app using wired cable broadband (Comcast Xfinity) as well as wirelessly (T-Mobile 5G) and always get the advert. (It's always the same - University of Miami Bariatric Surgery services.) So it does seem the problem is in the app and is independent of the internet service to which the ATV is connected.

Within the US, at least, there is another outlet for Sky News - it is a dedicated channel within the NBC app, under "Networks". Sky News used to be available via PlutoTV but Comcast pulled it from that lineup as PlutoTV is owned by CBS/Paramount, their competitor.

SKY News App Crashes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.