You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adult supervision for kids device

Do I make my child their own Apple ID or sign in the iPad as my own and go from there? Need help on the setup that’s best for my 7 year old but also I can monitor and control what’s going on with the iPad. Side note my child lives 2.5 hours away so it’s not like I am there to always touch the iPad but the other parent is there to help. Just want to know where to start

iPad, iPadOS 16

Posted on Jul 1, 2023 2:36 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2023 3:07 AM

Your child should have their own AppleID - in fact, every user should have their own AppleID. This is essential to maintain intended separation of activities and to avoid unintended sharing of unintended information and data.

You may find this information to be helpful with setting-up an AppleID for a minor - and in considering appropriate controls while continuing to share Apps and paid Apple services if you should choose to do so:

Apple for Kids - Official Apple Support

Help your child set up an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Family Sharing and Apple ID for your child – Apple Support

Use parental controls on your child's iPhone, iPad and iPod touch – Apple Support

Use Screen Time on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

Set up Screen Time for a family member on iPad - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 1, 2023 3:07 AM in response to something177

Your child should have their own AppleID - in fact, every user should have their own AppleID. This is essential to maintain intended separation of activities and to avoid unintended sharing of unintended information and data.

You may find this information to be helpful with setting-up an AppleID for a minor - and in considering appropriate controls while continuing to share Apps and paid Apple services if you should choose to do so:

Apple for Kids - Official Apple Support

Help your child set up an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Family Sharing and Apple ID for your child – Apple Support

Use parental controls on your child's iPhone, iPad and iPod touch – Apple Support

Use Screen Time on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

Set up Screen Time for a family member on iPad - Apple Support

Adult supervision for kids device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.