You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unlinking 2 iPhones both registered to my Apple I.D.

When I was gifted an Iphone XS I gave my Iphone 8 to my wife. Somehow when setting the phone up for her use I managed to give her phone the same I.D. as mine, so now photos, some messages and various other quirks appear on both phones. When I try to change the I.D. on her phone to her Apple I.D. it says the name is already being used by another I.D. If I login to my Apple I.D. account online I can see her phone under Devices, so I can delete the link and set up her phone using her I.D. right? NO. The Catch 22 is that to change the details on her phone I have to login to it, and as the I.D. registered to it is still mine, once I type in my password the phone is immediately registered back to my Devices. Is there any way to 'unlink' these 2 phones (without having to lose any data) and give the iPhone 8 my wife's Apple I.D. and allow us to live separate lives again?

iPhone XS, 16

Posted on Jul 1, 2023 9:38 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2023 9:49 AM

You are going to lose all the data and apps on the phone when you switch the Apple ID.

This is what you should have done:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply

Unlinking 2 iPhones both registered to my Apple I.D.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.