You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Switching from or transitioning from wifi to cellular data

I am using a new IPhone issue. 14 Pro and have turned on WifI assist in settings. I am using AT&T as my carrier. As a ham radio operator I use Safari (Web browser) to listen to the UTAH Software defined radio stream (http://websdr2.sdrutah.org:8902/index1a.html) and a app called Echolink to listen to other ham stations and echolink to talk to other (A VOIP app that extends the reach of analog radio repeaters) HERE the problem. When I am connected to 802.11 (WiFI) (2.4ghz or 5 ghz) and then LEAVE the Wifi signal and transition to Cellular 4G or 5G the lag latency etc tends to cause the streaming to disconnect hiccup etc. THIS should not be happening the transition should be seamless. Is this a Apple Iphone issue OR AT&T issue ? Or Both ? BTW I do not use WIFi calling because of this issue. So actual phone calls are not a problem. It is with VOIP or Audio streaming etc. Is anyone else having this problem ? Lets talk about it.

Thank you

Posted on Jul 1, 2023 10:28 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2023 10:35 AM

There is nothing you can do about that; it isn’t an iPhone problem, it is because streaming sources buffer, and the buffering is dependent on the speed of the connection. When you switch it will rebuffer, resulting in that “hiccup” that you observe. It usually isn’t a problem with Wi-Fi calling, because the data rate for calls is much slower than for streaming contact, so, while it also hiccups, it will be much less noticeable.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 1, 2023 10:35 AM in response to james.horak

There is nothing you can do about that; it isn’t an iPhone problem, it is because streaming sources buffer, and the buffering is dependent on the speed of the connection. When you switch it will rebuffer, resulting in that “hiccup” that you observe. It usually isn’t a problem with Wi-Fi calling, because the data rate for calls is much slower than for streaming contact, so, while it also hiccups, it will be much less noticeable.

Switching from or transitioning from wifi to cellular data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.