You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

hello there - how can one upgrade from Lion to High Sierra OS?

I have an iMac 2012 (16gb / 1TB / i5 2.3ghz) running Lion and I want to upgrade the OS to Sierra - > High Sierra

Can it be done directly to Sierra or it needs first Yosemite - > El Capitan - > Sierra?

If Yes, can you please explain the correct steps. I tried to download and install El Capitan but it gave me a download error. I will try again but I doubt it will work. (I tried downloading from here How to download and install macOS - Apple Support)

Nothing works on the Lion, neither skype - teamview-er, etc. Lots of errors trying to update.

Thank you

Posted on Jul 2, 2023 10:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2023 12:47 AM

macOS High Sierra - Technical Specifications

General Requirements

• OS X 10.8 or later
  • 2GB of memory
  • 14.3GB of available storage to perform upgrade*
  • Some features require an Apple ID; terms apply.
  • Some features require a compatible Internet service provider; fees may apply.

Mac Hardware Requirements

For details about your Mac model, click the Apple icon at the top left of your screen, choose About This Mac. These Mac models are compatible with macOS High Sierra:

• MacBook (Late 2009 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)
  • MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer)
  • Mac mini (Mid 2010 or newer)
  • iMac (Late 2009 or newer)
  • Mac Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)

https://itunes.apple.com/app/macos-high-sierra/id1246284741?mt=12

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 3, 2023 12:47 AM in response to thenewworld

General Requirements

• OS X 10.8 or later
  • 2GB of memory
  • 14.3GB of available storage to perform upgrade*
  • Some features require an Apple ID; terms apply.
  • Some features require a compatible Internet service provider; fees may apply.

Mac Hardware Requirements

For details about your Mac model, click the Apple icon at the top left of your screen, choose About This Mac. These Mac models are compatible with macOS High Sierra:

• MacBook (Late 2009 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)
  • MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer)
  • Mac mini (Mid 2010 or newer)
  • iMac (Late 2009 or newer)
  • Mac Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)

https://itunes.apple.com/app/macos-high-sierra/id1246284741?mt=12

Jun 30, 2024 9:33 PM in response to thenewworld

A few years ago I bought an used MacBook Pro Late 2011 model, and switched HDD and upgraded to High Sierra. I didn't use that computer much, but since I got a Laser engraver and wanted to use a laptop instead of a desktop to control it then i decided to get my old mac and wipe it to get it as fresh as possible.... worst mistake ever !!

After installing MacOS Lion I couldn't go to any secure site, open APP store, or any other Apple cloud/web stuff (not even this apple support page - so i has a windows computer with me to research)

Long story short:

1.- I used Internet recovery to install the macOS that came with computer (Lion)

2.- Installed google chrome (old and only version available) - This let me go to the support.apple.com website and click on the MacOS Sierra download link

3.- Installed that Sierra

4.- FINALLY !!! Able to open APP Store and downloaded High Sierra.

So there you go, use google chrome to jump over secured websites that couldn't be open with safari because of TTL security

Regards

Jul 3, 2023 12:49 AM in response to dialabrain

no, I couldn't update to el capitan as, when I click on the installation package of el capitan I start the install and it says this will take 7MGB on your computer and 2 minutes left then it says it's done and that's it, and it says installation succesful, but nothing happens

- I found an article that says with 10.8 version is possible to go straight to High Sierra

sierra shows up on apple store but it says software update required :(

well, that's exactly what I am trying to do!! :(

hello there - how can one upgrade from Lion to High Sierra OS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.