You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

LaCie external hard drive to Iphone13

I am looking into a external hard drive for both my IPad Pro and my iPhone 13, the LaCie d2 professional 8TB has a USB-c plug on the back and can support my IPad Pro, can I plug my phone into the USB-C and back up my phone to the hard drive or would my phone not be compatible with this option. The idea behind this move is to eliminate the iCloud phone/tablet back up, and set up a drive I can back both devices up to without paying for it every month.

iPhone 13, iOS 16

Posted on Jul 4, 2023 7:26 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2023 2:39 AM

You cannot make a backup of your iPhone / iPad on the LaCie d2 professional 8TB.

The LaCie d2 professional 8TB does not have the operating system to back up.

See this Apple article: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

2 replies

Jul 5, 2023 7:06 PM in response to Raicya

How can I bring that capability under my own umbrella of devices? It’s cheaper long run to backup to my own storage device and I can run a bigger storage capacity if I buy my own set up for back ups. Preferably something I could potentially connect to a router and backup data via wireless connection. Is that possible for less than $1000.?

LaCie external hard drive to Iphone13

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.