You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I put windex on my m2 macbook air 13 inch

Did the windex damage my screen badly? I don't see anything bad. Also if it is damaged can I get it fixed?

MacBook Air, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jul 6, 2023 10:07 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2023 10:40 AM

First off, Apple provides an article on how to clean Mac computer screens:

Clean your Mac computer’s screen or display - Apple Support

The above being said, there are a couple of ingredients in common household window cleaners that can damage computer screens...ammonia and acetone.

Some Windex glass cleaners are ammonia-free, so if you used one of those, it may not be as damaging as those with ammonia.

Also, I've never needed to use any kind of cleaner on my MacBooks (or iMacs). I simply use a couple of soft microfiber towels. One of the towels is dampened with regular tap water. I make sure to wring it out thoroughly, then use it to clean the screen. I then use the other towel to dry/buff the screen until it's streak-free. (If it's REALLY bad, I may need to repeat this process, but I've never needed to do it more than twice).

If it were me, I'd simply clean your screen again using the above method, as you've said you can't see any damage.

The biggest mistake some people make is spraying anything directly onto the screen. This is a big no-no, as the liquid could fall into the electronics behind the screen or inside the logic board.

Hope this helps.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 6, 2023 10:40 AM in response to Augustu2

First off, Apple provides an article on how to clean Mac computer screens:

Clean your Mac computer’s screen or display - Apple Support

The above being said, there are a couple of ingredients in common household window cleaners that can damage computer screens...ammonia and acetone.

Some Windex glass cleaners are ammonia-free, so if you used one of those, it may not be as damaging as those with ammonia.

Also, I've never needed to use any kind of cleaner on my MacBooks (or iMacs). I simply use a couple of soft microfiber towels. One of the towels is dampened with regular tap water. I make sure to wring it out thoroughly, then use it to clean the screen. I then use the other towel to dry/buff the screen until it's streak-free. (If it's REALLY bad, I may need to repeat this process, but I've never needed to do it more than twice).

If it were me, I'd simply clean your screen again using the above method, as you've said you can't see any damage.

The biggest mistake some people make is spraying anything directly onto the screen. This is a big no-no, as the liquid could fall into the electronics behind the screen or inside the logic board.

Hope this helps.

I put windex on my m2 macbook air 13 inch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.