You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt 4 to Thunderbolt 1

I have an old Macbook Pro which I'm looking to replace with a new M2 Macbook Pro. The new one has Thunderbolt 4 ports, but I'm using an old 27" Apple display with Thunderbolt 1, plus an external hard drive that also uses Thunderbolt 1. Is there a compatible adapter I can use?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Jul 6, 2023 7:51 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2023 1:59 AM

Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple

This translates Thunderbolt protocol. It does not support Mini DisplayPort devices on the Thunderbolt 2 side, or USB-C (USB, USB Power Delivery, DisplayPort) devices on the Thunderbolt 3 side.

It also does not transmit power from one side to the other, so if you hook up a 27" Apple Thunderbolt display to a new Mac laptop with the aid of this adapter, the laptop won't receive any charging power through the Thunderbolt connection. You'll need a separate power source (like the USB-C power brick and charging cable that come with the Mac) to power/charge the laptop.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 7, 2023 1:59 AM in response to Larry LaCom

Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple

This translates Thunderbolt protocol. It does not support Mini DisplayPort devices on the Thunderbolt 2 side, or USB-C (USB, USB Power Delivery, DisplayPort) devices on the Thunderbolt 3 side.

It also does not transmit power from one side to the other, so if you hook up a 27" Apple Thunderbolt display to a new Mac laptop with the aid of this adapter, the laptop won't receive any charging power through the Thunderbolt connection. You'll need a separate power source (like the USB-C power brick and charging cable that come with the Mac) to power/charge the laptop.

Jul 7, 2023 6:07 AM in response to Larry LaCom

Servant of Cats has the answer for the genuine ThunderBolt display, which has a lead-in cord with two component leads, a MagSafe and a ThunderBolt (identified with the ThunderBolt symbol).

---------

The nearly identical-looking 27-in cinema display has a lead-in cord with three component leads, MagSafe, USB-A, and Mini DisplayPort, with the DisplayPort oval-between-two-vertical-lines symbol. That one does NOT work with the US$50 Apple Thunderbolt-3 <-> ThunderBolt-2 adapter. It just needs a US$10 USB-C to Mini DisplayPort adapter.

Thunderbolt 4 to Thunderbolt 1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.