You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Photos taking up too much space despite iCloud sync being turned on?

Hi,

Does anyone else has/had a problem where Photos take up way too much space (1/3 of my storage) even though they have iCloud sync and storage optimization on?

Storage:

Photos:

iCloud:

I have asked a couple of friends with iPhones as well, and nobody seems to face this problem. Their phone usually stores around 8 gigs of Photos in cache.

I thought that my phone is processing photos to recognize faces and/or other things, but after leaving my phone plugged in and connected to network (and locked ofc) for a super long time, I still face this issue.

Anybody has any recommendations I could take? It is getting extremely annoying, as I can't even install new updates (for example iOS 17 beta 3), because I do not have enough free space.

iPhone 11, iOS 17

Posted on Jul 10, 2023 6:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2023 9:41 AM

Hi again, thank you for clarifying that. In sense of that, can you come up with an explanation to my newest experiences?

I have deleted a considerable amount of my photos and videos, reducing the total size to 130 gigs. The size of my "Photos" was reduced to 16 gb, then it slowly rised to 21 again. The whole thing still only takes 8 gigabytes on my iPad.

Is Apple purposefully keeping my phone storage full so I am forced to buy a newer model with more storage? Because I literally can not come up with a better explanation at this point, or a solution to making more space on my phone.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 12, 2023 9:41 AM in response to muguy

Hi again, thank you for clarifying that. In sense of that, can you come up with an explanation to my newest experiences?

I have deleted a considerable amount of my photos and videos, reducing the total size to 130 gigs. The size of my "Photos" was reduced to 16 gb, then it slowly rised to 21 again. The whole thing still only takes 8 gigabytes on my iPad.

Is Apple purposefully keeping my phone storage full so I am forced to buy a newer model with more storage? Because I literally can not come up with a better explanation at this point, or a solution to making more space on my phone.

Jul 10, 2023 1:54 PM in response to muguy

Hmm, not trying to argue with you particularly, I am just angry at the service, please proceed with discretion.

So you are saying that I am paying for the iCloud storage so it can host my photos, but it does not host them completely so that I could delete them from the phone and have space freed up, because it still keeps some optimized versions on the phone? Why are these "optimized versions" not present on my iPad?

Do you think that resetting my phone would solve this problem and that my photos would be stored only in iCloud (and basically no locally at all) if I did that?

Jul 12, 2023 10:38 AM in response to ambrustorok

ambrustorok wrote:

No, Apple doesn't conive to get you to buy up. You did that by buying the smallest storage available on the iPhone at the time of purchase and then outgrowing the capacity of the iPhone's storage. If you don't have a desktop Mac where you can store the photos and only have a subset on your iPhone then you'll need to get an iPhone that has adequate storage for you. The current max storage is 512 GB.

If you have a desktop Mac many users have a full library on it and then have a smaller, System Photos Library and iCloud Library with the more important Photos syncing between devices.

Aug 8, 2023 2:22 AM in response to ambrustorok

You are trying to use "iCloud Photos" like an external drive to extend the storage of your iPhone. But even fully optimized, your iCloud Photos will need some storage on your iPhone. As a rule of thumb, any item you are keeping in iCloud Photos will optimized need at least 10% to 20% of its original size on your iPhone. This is needed for the thumbnails and the database files describing the folders, adjustments, albums. metadata like faces and places.

With an iCloud Photos Library of 167GB, you are close to the limit how large you can let your Photos Library grow. If you try to let the iCloud Photos Library grow much larger beyond this, Photos will become painfully slow and you may encounter blank thumbnails, because Photos cannot even create thumbnails for browsing for all items in iCloud. The local storage on your device available for optimized versions is the bottleneck, determinining how large your iCloud Photos Library can grow.

When I still have been using my old iPhone 5s with just 64GB storage, my iCloud Photos Library with 200GB (at that time) needed fully optimized 25GB on the iPhone. Photos has still been responsive and still left me enough storage for the other apps and my music.

Like muguy recommended, keep the iCloud Photos Library small. I am only keeping my favorites and most important photos and the most recent new photos in iCloud Photos, only the photos I want to have with me at all times. On my Mac I am keeping several additional Photos Libraries, where I am archiving all my Photos, one Photos Library for each year, and one for each major event, like an extended vacation or photo safari. This way I can easily find older photos, if I need to look them up.

You do not necessarily need a Mac to archive your photos. Do you already have a computer with software to organize photos?

Jul 29, 2024 1:02 PM in response to ambrustorok

I just upgraded to 6TB iCloud storage and even with optimizing photo storage, the cloud is dumping ALL of my photos from previous phones onto my phone, which only has 256 g - what is the ratio for how much “optimized for space” photo/videos are compared to full size? It seems like even if all of the photos and videos in the iCloud are optimized, they still take up more space than my phone has….so what exactly is the point of upgrading iCloud storage?

iPhone Photos taking up too much space despite iCloud sync being turned on?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.