You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wireless Bluetooth keyboard won’t turn on.

I have a wireless Apple keyboard (about 7-8 years old)that will not turn on. When I press the power button the green LED lights up for about 3 seconds then goes out. It does not flash as though trying to make a connection to MacBook. During that 3 seconds the Bluetooth window detects the keyboard but pushing the "connect" doesn't work as it powers off too quickly.

I put fresh batteries in and still get the same results. The battery terminals are clean. No corrosion ever.

I just migrated from a 2015 Intel Mac to a 2023 M-2 MacBook Pro. Keyboard worked fine on Intel Mac.

Please, any suggestions? Thank you.

MacBook Pro (M2 Pro, 2023)

Posted on Jul 11, 2023 9:02 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2023 4:58 PM

Thank you. The last section of this Apple article says of the A1314:

Set up your Magic Keyboard, Magic Mouse, or Magic Trackpad with your Mac - Apple Support

says:

* If the LED turns on briefly but doesn't blink, the device might be connected to another Mac that is nearby. On that Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Settings (or System Preferences), then click Bluetooth. Click the Show Detail button , then click Forget This Device. Or move your pointer over the device's name, then click the remove button . After removing the device, turn it off and back on.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 11, 2023 4:58 PM in response to Yankeerebel

Thank you. The last section of this Apple article says of the A1314:

Set up your Magic Keyboard, Magic Mouse, or Magic Trackpad with your Mac - Apple Support

says:

* If the LED turns on briefly but doesn't blink, the device might be connected to another Mac that is nearby. On that Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Settings (or System Preferences), then click Bluetooth. Click the Show Detail button , then click Forget This Device. Or move your pointer over the device's name, then click the remove button . After removing the device, turn it off and back on.

Jul 11, 2023 12:45 PM in response to Yankeerebel

Long shot: Some older Apple wireless boards used three batteries instead of two. The third battery sometimes became stuck, and could look like the bottom of the battery cavity. It would not get changed because users thought the board needed but two.

You can quickly see whether you have a two-or three-battery variant by flipping the keyboard and looking for the tiny icons on the battery "tube" at the battery cover end. This board is a two-battery variant.

Otherwise please find the model of the board on its back— should be A000 format—and post that. That might stir up more clues.

Wireless Bluetooth keyboard won’t turn on.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.