You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Subscriptions

How do I stop iTunes from seeking an update on my payment method when I have already indicated several times that I do not wish to subscribe anymore?

iPhone 4s, iOS 9

Posted on Jul 11, 2023 9:52 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2023 12:08 AM

You may need to have a valid payment method on file, even if the app you want to download is free.

You can have a credit card / debit card on file and an Apple Account balance.

If you have set your Apple Account balance as your default payment method, your default payment method will be used first by Apple when you need to make a payment.

Some purchases might require you to have a credit card on file, even if you use your Apple Account balance to make the purchase.

See -> If you can’t download or update apps on your iPhone or iPad

If you can’t download or update apps on your iPhone or iPad – Apple Support (UK)

scroll to point 2  ⤵️

Add a payment method

You may need to have a valid payment method on file, even if the app you want to download is free.

Add a payment method

• If you want to change your card, you need to add first the new card, then remove the old card.
  • or if you use your Apple Account balance, you need to set your Apple Account balance as your default payment.

If you still need help, get support from Apple directly -> Get Support or call Apple in your region see -> Contact Apple for support and service 

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 12, 2023 12:08 AM in response to E-n-c-43

You can have a credit card / debit card on file and an Apple Account balance.

If you have set your Apple Account balance as your default payment method, your default payment method will be used first by Apple when you need to make a payment.

Some purchases might require you to have a credit card on file, even if you use your Apple Account balance to make the purchase.

See -> If you can’t download or update apps on your iPhone or iPad

If you can’t download or update apps on your iPhone or iPad – Apple Support (UK)

scroll to point 2  ⤵️

Add a payment method

Add a payment method

• If you want to change your card, you need to add first the new card, then remove the old card.
  • or if you use your Apple Account balance, you need to set your Apple Account balance as your default payment.

If you still need help, get support from Apple directly -> Get Support or call Apple in your region see -> Contact Apple for support and service 

Jul 13, 2023 9:30 AM in response to E-n-c-43

E-n-c-43 wrote:

I do NOT want to continue with my Subscription.
How can I do that?

This support article explains how to cancel a subscription from Apple on an Apple mobile device, Mac, PC, and online ➔ If you want to cancel a subscription from Apple - Apple Support

Notes:

• You might need to scroll down to find the Cancel Subscription button.

• If you don’t see Cancel Subscription, then the subscription is already canceled and won't renew. An "Expires" date (instead of "Renews") means the current subscription will just run until then. "Resubscribe" is just in case you change your mind about having it end.

• Deleting an app does not cancel a subscription.

• If you don’t cancel trials more than 24 hours before your renewal date, your subscription might renew.

• If you don't have an Apple device, see the options near the bottom of the support document.

• Many subscriptions are set to renew automatically until you intentionally cancel them.

If you can’t find the subscription that you want to cancel, use this shortcut to jump to the section about what to do. --> If you want to cancel a subscription from Apple - Apple Support If you still can't find a subscription, contact Apple Support using this issue-specific link at the end of the section. --> https://getsupport.apple.com/?caller=kbase&PGF=PGF63006&category_id=SC0060&symptom_id=23208

If you still have problems, contact Apple online using this page ➔ Choose your country or region - Official Apple Support Select your country, then a product. Alternatively, see a list of Apple phone numbers around the world ➔ Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Jul 13, 2023 5:50 PM in response to Limnos

Thank you Limnos, I think I need to start again with my problem. I have been receiving emails from iTunes saying that it can't renew my subscription because I need to update my payment record [e.g. credit card number etc.]. I think it did say that the subscription had expired and it was having delays in renewing the subscription because it didn't have my updated payment details. Unfortunately, I took that as also meaning for me that if I didn't provide my payment details it wouldn't be able to renew my subscription.

Over the course of receiving replies from the Community, which I have appreciated, I realize that the iTunes system, having not actually received a definite written advice 24-hours prior to the expiry date, that I didn't want to renew, I appear to be stuck between getting constant email reminders to update my payment details which I don't want to do because I don't want to renew, OR just deleting their emails.

Is there any other answer and if not can you please help this 80yo member to get out of this quandary?

PS I have already exhausted all of the areas that members have suggested to me to see if I could find some form of relevant approach, with no luck.

PPS This is and was the message, which I now note implies I was on an automatic renew system:

There appears to be a problem with the current payment type for your account. This will prevent the

automatic renewal of your subscription to iTunes Match. To avoid interruption of your subscription, and to continue enjoying your entire music collection stored in iCloud from your iOS devices, iTunes, and Apple TV, you will need to update your payment information. To update

your payment information or manage your subscription, sign in to iTunes on your computer and go to your Account Information page.

Please help!

Jul 14, 2023 8:12 PM in response to E-n-c-43

I don't have any subscriptions so I have never been in your situation. I would have thought Apple would simply cancel your subscription due to non-payment but from what you say that isn't the case. Since you owe money the only way to get out of this is to pay what you owe by adding funds to your account, or a payment method. Typically Apple will not let you start a subscription without a payment method being present and won't let you remove one if there is an ongoing subscription so several things about this are puzzling to me.

If you don't want to simply pay what you owe then you can contact Apple and see if you can negotiate something with them.

Jul 23, 2023 1:03 AM in response to Limnos

Hi Limnos,

You've helped me make the decision I probably needed to make earlier rather than take up mine and everyone else's time. So thank you.

My hope is that I manage to pay the subscription with a new credit card number, BUT take the subscription OFF automatic renewal, so that once I'm locked in for this year, I can ensure I'm 'officially' in the position not to renew.

So again thank you Limnos, and others who have continued to try to put me on the right road to 'recovery'.

All the best to you all, Eunice

iTunes Subscriptions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.