You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a MacBook Air M1 chip (2020). I want to hook up 2 external monitors so I have 3 screens. What do i need to do this

I have a MacBook Air M1 chip (2020). I want to hook up 2 external monitors so I have 3 screens. What do i need to do this?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jul 13, 2023 10:19 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2023 10:47 AM

juliefromgrosse pointe park wrote:

I have a MacBook Air M1 chip (2020). I want to hook up 2 external monitors so I have 3 screens. What do i need to do this?

The MacBook Air M1 computer supports a single external display.

MacBook Air (M1, 2020) - Technical Specifications

"Display Support

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colors and: 

One external display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz"

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 13, 2023 10:47 AM in response to juliefromgrosse pointe park

juliefromgrosse pointe park wrote:

The MacBook Air M1 computer supports a single external display.

MacBook Air (M1, 2020) - Technical Specifications

"Display Support

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colors and: 

One external display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz"

Jul 13, 2023 12:57 PM in response to juliefromgrosse pointe park

There are products like the Sonnet DisplayLink Dual { DisplayPort, HDMI } Adapters for M1 and M2 Macs. You load software into your computer which creates virtual screens and sends periodic compressed updates to an external device. The external device uses a DisplayLink chip set to decode the compressed updates to drive your monitor. DisplayLink (not to be confused with DisplayPort) is one of the competing technologies that does this.

These do not give you first-class hardware video outputs. They're not well-suited for high-end gaming. There may be other limitations, like this:

"On macOS, protected content from iTunes and other copy protected (HDCP) players and applications are not visible on any monitors, including built-in monitors, when DisplayLink monitors are connected."

But if you're just looking for dual-monitor support for productivity applications with static displays, these sorts of products might be a possibility.

I have a MacBook Air M1 chip (2020). I want to hook up 2 external monitors so I have 3 screens. What do i need to do this

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.